Indian Creek, July 16

Quillback

First time in quite a while to fish Indian, got there at first light and left at 0830.  The campers start stirring around about 8 O'clock heading for their jet skis and ski boats so it is good to get out of there early.

There are some fish not too far from the ramp chasing shad on top, mostly small black bass with a striper or two showing up now and then.  They are scattered but if you can get something on them right when they come up you can get a bite.  That being said, I only boated 3 small bass and a 3 lb. striper.  Had a couple of others that pulled good but threw the hook.

Several boats out in the main basin over the deep water which I assume are striper fishermen - usually you see that many boats out there then they are probably getting a few.

large.Jul16Striper.jpg

1 hour ago, Quillback said:

large.Jul16Striper.jpg

Healthy looking fish Jeff!  Last year there was really high catch and release mortality in the summer from the recreational fisheries. So we are being asked to refrain from any striper fishing if the water temp gets too hot to hold adequate O2 levels.That may be most afternoons in the shallower waters near the banks.

1 hour ago, Devan S. said:

you just throwing the keitech at swirls like you would top water or you actually fishing lower in the water column?

I was throwing it at the swirls and blind casting around the boat when there weren't any to throw too which was most of the time.  The top water activity was helpful in putting me in the general area where the fish were.

@Johnsfolly  This guy did swim away, but of course you never know if they eventually die - didn't bring any ice with me as I didn't expect to catch any stripers.  Had I had some ice with me I probably would've kept it, my frozen fish stash is now at zero.  ☹️

Nice I bought a Red Eye shad in 3/4oz to chuck and got away from the WTD deal. 

I can fling it a loooooong way compared to a big spook. Haven't caught one yet but figured fishing the swirls dang near anything would work. 

Time will tell....come on fall.

3 hours ago, Quillback said:

This guy did swim away, but of course you never know if they eventually die - didn't bring any ice with me as I didn't expect to catch any stripers.  Had I had some ice with me I probably would've kept it, my frozen fish stash is now at zero.  ☹️

I'm talking about out here in the Chesapeake. we have really bad water quality here in the summer. Also people around here think that fish are indestructible.

I have been really bad at catching any eaters this year. Only had a meal of catfish this year. I'm slacking for sure.