I just bought a Fish Cat personal inflatable pontoon frame.  It did not come with pontoons.  I plan on using pink insulation foam, with 1/4 inch skid plates to make pontoons.   My question is why use 1 over the next?  I estimate them to be 10 feet long, 8-10" wide 8-10" tall. 

Money is just ink and paper, worthless until it switches hands, and worthless again until the next transaction. (me)

I am the master of my unspoken words, and the slave to those that should have remained unsaid. (unknown)

I think of a raft compared with a canoe. The raft being square is hard to propel through the water and hard to steer, but is quite stable while the round bottom canoe is easy to propel and easy to steer. I guess I'd say square has more drag or resistance to all things. Now the disclaimer, I am not a boat design engineer and actually have no experience with pontoons. But I suggest you look at catamaran architecture for proportions and shapes, there are rules to hull design that should apply as a pontoon is in essence a multi hull boat. 

A 8-10 plastic drain pipe with the ends cut at a angle and a water tight plug would make a quick easy float. maybe lighter than the stack of insulation board?  

I know how to row....It is different. You want the inflatable tubes. Talk to Craig at Hargroves...they  used to deal Fish Cat (Aire), not sure if they still do, but will send you in the right direction. If they cant, do call NRS, they can get you anything paddle craft related. NRS is the gold standard in the White Water community.

Flat all the way :)download.jpg

Actually Sounds like a fun project Daryk !

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

4 hours ago, Gavin said:

I know how to row....It is different.

You can say that again!   I consider myself a master at boating or paddling in general, but you do NOT want me on the sticks in a river.  I have a buddy that has a drift boat, Towee with rowing frame, and a Smithfly raft.  I beg for time on the sticks because I really feel the need to get proficient at it......but I freakin' suck at it so badly that after 1/4 mile he kicks me out....and I don't blame him.  

All things being equal I would think flat would create less water displacement, which would crate less draft. So you get another inch out of it.  But on tight curves you'll probably drift more than the round ones. Which means you will be a little out of control and run right into wrench because he can't control his boat. lol  Keep in mind that I'm not a scientist , but my wife does make wear a lab coat sometimes and one of those shiny headlamp things from the fifties. But that's a whole different forum. 😉

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity...... Or you could just flip a coin???B)

I'm not interested in becoming a rower but I do respect those who can. Hargroves may be an option for OEM, or aftermarket equipment.  Good to know.   Just a toy for me.  More so interested in the powered option.   @BilletHead's  picture is close to what it would look like unfinished, but I plan to enclose them similar to catamaran style as @tjm mentioned.  I've checked YouTube, seen many options, but with my A.D.D. I will keep watching, and never start doing. 

I have a side plan, with a 10' blow up raft, Zodiac style.  I believe the side and front bladders are 1.  The benches are separate.  I may strip/cut the floor off of it and use the main hose shoe bladder as the float for the tube.  It is a small sacrifice, the raft doesn't get used often, picked it up at a garage sale for cheap. Got my money out of it.  

Money is just ink and paper, worthless until it switches hands, and worthless again until the next transaction. (me)

I am the master of my unspoken words, and the slave to those that should have remained unsaid. (unknown)

Along  catamaran lines, a triangular cross section might be a compromise between agility and ease of construction ,  it might run deeper than a square section, but would be easier to build from flat sheets than circular cross section would. Cut the apex off the triangle for a trapezoidal section with widest dimension up, perhaps, and enough this width would counter the depth need somewhat. This would also allow you a way to create some rocker.

Easy fast thing is get two cheap light kayaks or SUPs and presto bingo you are in business