OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FishSqueezer

Wax worms near Indian Point?

Actually they breed on Bees wax.  Leave a hive out without bees in it and they will breed fast.  Little moth comes in and lays eggs.  Then the larva burrow thru the comb eating the honey.  Fish love them because they are little sweet wiggly maggot looking things.

Can't you buy mealworms at pet stores?  Waxworms different?  What we buy for ice fishing looks just like a mealworm, they call them waxworms... 

18 minutes ago, MoCarp said:

Meal worm not the same as wax worms

What is the difference please?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waxworm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mealworm

In a nutshell....meal worms are a beetle larvae bigger and tougher that the moth larvae wax worms...IMHO wax worms are better bait...tipped to a jig is a great bait for huge sunfish and trout like the too!

My family likes the wax worms because they are pretty clean to handle.  I've not tried meal worms before as bait.  Unfortunately, I don't see any promising looking pet shops near Indian Point.  I saw Lilly's landing had referenced wax worms in a fishing report I saw on the internet some time back...maybe they sell them?  I was hoping to find them a bit closer to our condo.