Lake Springfield help

Hey Guys,

I'm headed out tomorrow evening to put my kayak on its maiden voyage and I figure what better way to do so than throwing some frogs at some bass.

I've never been out on Springfield before so I'm asking for a general area to start. I'll only have a few hours from maybe 4 to 7 or so but anyone is welcome to join too!

Thanks in advance!

I used to fish Springfield lake quite a bit but haven’t for about 5 years now.   Put in at 65 ramp and motored to the main lake.   Did well at the bluff line to the north in the main river channel before the lake opens up throwing jig and craw as well as creature patterns Texas rigged.   Also by the rail road tracks moving toward the dam.    I’m not a great top water guy but the vegetation out there is getting crazy so if the frog is your choice have at it.   Good luck

Thanks for the tips! I wanted to puowt in at the Marina but when I got there the gate was still closed, so I went over to 65 and went down from there. I had 1 blowup on the frog but missed the hookset..then a lot of nothing. I went down to where the Lake starts and then turned around...found a HUGE crappie dead floating...measured at 15"

I thought about throwing a jig but didn't..maybe should've...tried the frog, a spinnerbait, and a swimbait...really didnt know what i was doing but was fun to get out.20200830_075723.jpg

Lake Springfield is weird. 

I'm going to start off by giving a disclaimer: I am NOT a great fisherman. Good, not great. 

I have fished Lake Springfield off and on since I moved down here for college in 2015.  I have yet to find a great pattern for the lake. I have caught fish just about everywhere. East of 65 bridge, around the railroad bridge, off of bluffs and around the grass in the main lake. But it's all been sporadic. I have my best luck with just a Texas rigged worm and a 1/16 ounce weight. I believe one issue is that this lake has gotten quite a bit more pressure in the last five years or so with all the kayakers. The fish, especially shallow, probably see EVERYTHING a fisherman can throw at them. I've seen kayakers just beat the bank with jigs, spinnerbaits, frogs, etc. So you really have to think outside the box. I've talked to guys who do well on a buzzbait around wood and other rip raff along the bank of the main lake; but I haven't tried that much. My suggestion is to just get out early before everyone else and fish every section you can. Just because I haven't found a solid pattern doesn't mean you can't. Fall is definitely best, imo. I believe cooler temps and less pressure helps with that. I also have considered drop shotting in the channel and/or deeper water. There are definitely big fish to be found. I think the river/lake system is very fertile for big bass. Every bass I catch is well fed and I've caught a few nice ones. However, it is few and far between. There used to be a guy on Youtube who fished Lake Springfield alot and absolutely killed them with a ned rig. But I seriously don't know how he did it. There are alot of older threads about this lake you can check out too. It's a great forum for that. Good luck! 

3 hours ago, Seth Clarkson said:

Definitely agree fall is best. 

The guy you're talking about I believe had a crazy youtube handle, winkiedoodles, I feel like he changed it though. He move somewhere in Northern Missouri I believe so you have to go back a few years for lake springfield. 

Yep! I know the guy, he changed his handle to ShowMeFishTales and his stuff is great...he seemed to always be throwing some sort of Z man soft plastic swimbait...I picked up a few and plan to give em a try in the next couple weeks