I thought I had "it".

1 minute ago, Gavin said:

Insert black, jew, catholic, mental disability, etc in the place of poor, and your goose stepping with Adolf, Stalin, Pol Pot, Ho Chi Amin, and other mass murdering dictators.

Here goes another one for the CNN application pile.  

Can't have a free country unless we all take responsibility for each others BS?   Huuuge stretch there.   

In the old days, Churches, civic groups, Elk Clubs, Rotary clubs, etc., had a big part in taking care of the less fortunate. It seems they are being replaced with big brother. Big brother should take care of those who can’t take care of themselves, but we can never eliminate poverty. How many trillions have we spent on the war on poverty and it’s still at the same percentage as always. 

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor

There's a gal down the road that is (I guess) trying to buy herself a ticket to "heaven" by taking in all stray cats, paying to get them healthy and spayed/nutered.  Her house, which used to be a beautiful home, is now absolutely nasty, the car she drives is gross too, and she is now one who you want to be at least 3 isles away from when she is in the store.    She HAD a very nice inheritance....but has now pissed it away on stray cats, and is on welfare.  

She just knows that she is going to be with Jesus though, because of her good kitty cat heart.     I wish her luck!   

26 minutes ago, Gavin said:

No huge stretch, you are talking about killing “useless” people or forcing them to sell their organs!  Astonishingly amoral. No empathy!

No FORCED empathy.     By choice is fine, and encouraged.....if you can afford it.

I'm pissed, and you should be too......that you are forced to sponsor Cat Lady.  And the millions like her. 

It's food out of our kids mouths, so to speak.  Sorry, but when it comes to feeding your kids or mine.  I gotta take care of my own. Abraham, I am not.

Some people are more pragmatic than others.  What fishinwrench is saying is accurate, but it hurts people's feelings because it seems cold.  Until big brother stepped in with social security, our aging population was supported by their family or community, but at that time the average age was way less.  We have an aging workforce, as baby boomers are retiring, and too many young people are  not working.  Look at any trade, ALL are short on labor.

I feel this discussion will be much better when we can do it face to face at jigfest, from a safe distance of course

everything in this post is purely opinion and is said to annoy you.

56 minutes ago, gotmuddy said:

Some people are more pragmatic than others.  What fishinwrench is saying is accurate, but it hurts people's feelings because it seems cold.  Until big brother stepped in with social security, our aging population was supported by their family or community, but at that time the average age was way less.  We have an aging workforce, as baby boomers are retiring, and too many young people are  not working.  Look at any trade, ALL are short on labor.

I feel this discussion will be much better when we can do it face to face at jigfest, from a safe distance of course

He's dreaming.

Liberals ask, Does it FEEL GOOD? If yes...then go forward with it.

Conservatives ask, Does it DO GOOD? If not... then scrap it and look for other options.

It's all about the level of realism, and your ability to see past your precious feelings and accept the reality of things.

1 hour ago, fishinwrench said:

Liberals ask, Does it FEEL GOOD? If yes...then go forward with it.

Conservatives ask, Does it DO GOOD? If not... then scrap it and look for other options.

Nope and nope.

They all, including ones in between that you forgot about, say, 'Will this get me reelected?'

John