Creek Fishing 9-27-2020

FishnDave

4 minutes ago, FishnDave said:

Ah, that was my next question...best way to get rid of them.  :) Picking them off one-by-one really cut into my fishing time.

Don't waste fishing time to get rid of them. Take care of them on the way home or at home.

28 minutes ago, FishnDave said:

I see silvery fish that charge the surface, make a little splash, then dive back down....I assume it is Goldeye that are doing this?  I tried casting to those areas but didn't catch any.

See any insect hatch? Try surface fly?

14 minutes ago, Johnsfolly said:

Don't waste fishing time to get rid of them. Take care of them on the way home or at home.

I didn't even want to get in my car with them...even though I doubt they'd stick to the leather seats.  But that might have gone faster...get home, take the pants off and lay them flat and scrape them with the back edge of a butter knife or credit card or something like that.

8 minutes ago, tjm said:

They are kinda like eating sun flower seeds, if like that sort of thing.

They are edible?

5 minutes ago, tjm said:

See any insect hatch? Try surface fly?

I didn't see a hatch.They come up so fast from pretty deep....I don't think they are feeding.  I could be wrong, of course.  I get the feeling they are gulping air, but I don't know why they would do that.

3 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Looks like fun. Gold eye are surface feeders. I don’t fish for them but I catch them on topwater flies and plugs.

That's cool!   I just read they typically feed on the surface in low light or darkness.  So who knows why they charge the surface during the day.  I also read they aren't sexually mature until somewhere in the age range of 6 to 10 years old.

https://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/identifying-wildflowers-desmodium-or-beggar-lice#:~:text=The seeds are edible for humans as well%2C,iron skillet and use them as a snack.

Desmodiums prefer, sunny, well-drained meadows and will form loose colonies where quail love to hang out. They bloom from late summer into fall and the mature seeds generally drop to the ground where ground-dwelling birds and small mammals find a tasty feast. The seeds are edible for humans as well, but it takes a great number to amount to a significant meal.

https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/desmodium/

Wild life from butterflies to deer feed on beggar lice, I've probably eaten a couple bushels over the years while hunting or working in the woods. The skin splits and peels off when edged and bit like other seeds and like a pumpkin seed the kernel is edible. 

The fish are edible too but require cooking.

I don't know how long these grass carp will be willing to hit a fly, since the waters are starting to cool down now.  Even the smaller ones are fun to catch!

CB3016D5-9A52-4491-A12B-6F98BF2B0138.jpg