Question: 2020 Fly fishing film festival

47 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Rio is an SA company I

RIO is owned by Far Bank Enterprises, Inc. (Redington & Sage also) since 2005, before that it was an independent start up in Idaho.   SA  is owned by Orvis, but was a 3M company for decades.  

RIO first fly lines were made by Cortland, built their own plant in Idaho Falls in 1997.

3 hours ago, Gavin said:

Rio is an SA company I think.

No they aren't connected.  Both produce quality stuff. 

6 hours ago, crazybaldarcher said:

Then you should have seen these films about fly fishing. One was about chasing 20"+ brook trout

We got bored with the film and wandered back to camp.  Cool footage of Canadian, BC, and Alaska trips where they hit the timing, spot on. But the narration and info on it was weak.  

The river fishing was tough and slow because of all the leaves.  The park was super crowded, and also choked heavily with falling leaves.  

I made some good purchases on St.Croix, Redington, and Rio goodies, and got loaded up on freeze dried Skittles and Apple pie moonshine.   That group selling bloody Marys made bank!  

Super fun weekend, just wish the fishing had been better.   

Dunno, used to be hooked up with lots of Mfg reps and industry people, 15 years ago. Still in touch with a few. 2-3 Free fly lines from Bruce at  SA was a sweet deal. Would cast em on the lawn at my old office  building and give him feedback.

8 hours ago, tjm said:

RIO first fly lines were made by Cortland, built their own plant in Idaho Falls in 1997.

Not sure how I feel about their new "No Stretch Core".   Guys that do alot of mending, or guys that have problems with tailing loops will probably love them, but I've spent alot of time learning to CAST RIGHT, and to put my line down on the water where I want it to begin with, and my first impression is that it is too stiff and wirey.   I hope they don't go to that design for all of their lines from here on out,....cuz I'm pretty sure I'll hate it.    

I'm surprised that their reps, who are usually really good casters and pretty good fishermen haven't bitched to them about it.   It's probably a better line for beginners.....and maybe that's their target audience.

14 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

We got bored with the film and wandered back to camp.

I rarely get through the first three minutes of a video. Movies are the best cure for insomnia that I've found.

8 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

I'm surprised that their reps, who are usually really good casters and pretty good fishermen haven't bitched to them about it. 

I have read glowing reviews by guys that are supposed to be good casters. I don't put a lot of stock in reviews though. 

I got tired of fishing product gatherings about 1989. I don't really care to see the latest and greatest anymore.

My casting sucks. Period. No one is going to make me any better because I'm as good as I ever care to be. Call it lazy but I'm calling it having a good time on the water and not worrying about the little stuff.

Films? I love them. But they all seem to be doing the same thing. Used to be a guy made a movie good enough to get in one of these deals all on their own. Now, like most things, it more about how much money you have to spend on your little film. Yeah the locations they fish and film are amazing. But it's takes more than that and some edgy music to make a great film. 

But it would have all been better than the brake job I did on Saturday morning!!

48 minutes ago, Flysmallie said:

Yeah the locations they fish and film are amazing.

When you hit it right, sure.  One of my buddies made a comment of "Man, I'd love to live there!" 

I said No you wouldn't.  That stuff you're watching only happens for 2 weeks out of the year....and only when conditions that year are just right.   There isn't a dam thing to do there the rest of the year, you'd be broke and a stone cold alcoholic.

17 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

When you hit it right, sure.  One of my buddies made a comment of "Man, I'd love to live there!" 

I said No you wouldn't.  That stuff you're watching only happens for 2 weeks out of the year....and only when conditions that year are just right.   There isn't a dam thing to do there the rest of the year, you'd be broke and a stone cold alcoholic.

Yep. Plus you don't see all the days that sucked, all the time that was lost, all the problems, all the money spent. You just see all the goodness that they could cram into a 15 minute video. 

5 minutes ago, Flysmallie said:

You just see all the goodness that they could cram into a 15 minute video. 

I generally see that they changed shirts or rods between the cast and the catch. That kinda points out that the thing was all staged. Like the Lee Wulff/Curt Gowdy  film where they are flying in alone to some wilderness and all the time the plane is being filmed from outside and inside and the actions appear choreographed. Big beautiful brook trout sure but not a real fishin trip.

1 hour ago, Flysmallie said:

Yep. Plus you don't see all the days that sucked, all the time that was lost, all the problems, all the money spent. You just see all the goodness that they could cram into a 15 minute video. 

So like Facebook is what you are saying?   My daughter had a great line.  
“I hope your real life is as good as the one you portray on FB”.  😂