Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You don't know the one about why Nebraska took out grass and put in astroturf on the football field?     Couldn't keep the cheerleaders from grazing between downs.

The whites are pretty easy to find as you say on wind blown banks and points, and yes you hope to hook into a hybrid while catching whites. It’s a game of luck I imagine actually finding a school of t

Ya know what the N stands for on a Nebraska football helmet? Knowledge

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

Oh Christ!   A Husker fan🙄

I shoulda known.

Ya know what the N stands for on a Nebraska football helmet?

Knowledge

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mitch f said:

Ya know what the N stands for on a Nebraska football helmet?

Knowledge

My ex-wife and her family was from Nebraska. If they had an N anywhere? It wasn't for knowledge!!! 😉

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity...... Or you could just flip a coin???B)

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JPFisher55 said:

I did some quick google research on sterility of hybrid bass.  Several sources, including tis one https://appliedecology.cals.ncsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/300.pdf, reveal that hybrid bass can be fertile and breed with stripers, white bass and even other hybrids.

Thanks for the info fishinwrench.

 

You are welcome.   Thanks for caring enough to do your own fact checking.  👍 

Several years back I started catching fish that weren't exactly white bass....and weren't exactly Hybrid Stripers.   It wasn't blatently obvious but I knew I wasn't imagining things.   Also noticed right away that those "mutts" weren't near as hearty as the regular White bass (died easily, and almost seemed to have a heart attack when handled).    I've caught enough of them to know that we don't need them polluting the gene pool.      They serve no useful purpose, and are probably going to be detrimental to the health of native White bass.....so WHY CONTINUE TO DO IT ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, JPFisher55 said:

I did some quick google research on sterility of hybrid bass.  Several sources, including tis one https://appliedecology.cals.ncsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/300.pdf, reveal that hybrid bass can be fertile and breed with stripers, white bass and even other hybrids.

Thanks for the info fishinwrench.

 

Wait that paper described research done by a biologist and funded by the USDA🤔

Seems pretty fishy to me😉.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

You are welcome.   Thanks for caring enough to do your own fact checking.  👍 

Several years back I started catching fish that weren't exactly white bass....and weren't exactly Hybrid Stripers.   It wasn't blatently obvious but I knew I wasn't imagining things.   Also noticed right away that those "mutts" weren't near as hearty as the regular White bass (died easily, and almost seemed to have a heart attack when handled).    I've caught enough of them to know that we don't need them polluting the gene pool.      They serve no useful purpose, and are probably going to be detrimental to the health of native White bass.....so WHY CONTINUE TO DO IT ?

In all seriousness have you talked with anyone at MDC about these mutts? Would be a fairly simple genetic study to confirm the origins of their parentage. Some videos of their behavior would probably get a grad student or two  interested in studying the potential further hybridization of white bass.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Johnsfolly said:
On 10/23/2020 at 9:59 AM, fishinwrench said:

 

In all seriousness have you talked with anyone at MDC about these mutts?

Yes I have. Twice.  They pretended to be interested, and acknowledged the negative possibilities.  

There are only 3 states where it is being done.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.