Winter Safety!

Lifes2Short

I know a number of you on here fish in the winter time and being over 60 I often think what would happen if I fell in the water that is 30 or 40°.  Trying to pull myself back in the boat, even trying to balance myself on the outdrive and trimming up could be rather strenuous with all the clothing one must wear during the winter.  So I did some thing about it today and installed a ladder on the boat. I can’t say enough about this product, it only took 15 minutes to install, very easily,  and I am extremely happy with the workmanship. It’s even made here in MO!  Here is a link and a photo just in case you’re interested.
https://thebassboatladder.com/

D4DEBB8A-12A1-4C2E-A8BE-662FDBD7F9BE.jpeg

I agree a ladder is a must have.  I’ve heard for years about straddling the motor trimming it up and crawling over it back into the boat.  I tried it once just to see how it would work.  It didn’t.  That is a young man’s game.

I also wear my Mustang all day.

Not all boat ladders are the same.  Before you arw willing to bet your life on it during cold weather, give it a whirl in warm weather.  Some have that lowest step so high I would have to lose 20 years and 30 lbs to be able to get my foot in it and do anything.  I have demonstrated the version of riding the cavitation plate up into the boat at work, it will work but at the best you are gonna get dumped rather unceremoniously into the back of the boat, if the motor swivels sideways yiu are likely going back into the water.  

29 minutes ago, MOPanfisher said:

Not all boat ladders are the same.  Before you arw willing to bet your life on it during cold weather, give it a whirl in warm weather.  Some have that lowest step so high I would have to lose 20 years and 30 lbs to be able to get my foot in it and do anything.  I have demonstrated the version of riding the cavitation plate up into the boat at work, it will work but at the best you are gonna get dumped rather unceremoniously into the back of the boat, if the motor swivels sideways yiu are likely going back into the water.  

I might have been able to do it 20 years ago but not now, no way.

You'd probably be surprised at what you can do, and how agile you can be when your life TRULY depends on it.   

You might be a little sore for a few days afterwards, but bygod you're alive! 

I've taken just enough spills in frigid water that I know I'm going to be fine.  It's a confidence thing.  If you truly fear it then you may not have any business close to the water during winter.   It isn't as bad as you are probably thinking.....or at least it isn't for me.  Adrenaline kicks in and you just have to trust it.   I learned that immediately after the tornado hit my place, and I've been in enough situations since then that I don't fear much of anything. 

Except for monkeys, cougars, spiders, and large bears.   I don't think they give 2 $#!TS how much "adrenaline" I have. 😂