Quick trip to Unicorn

We are having a bit of a heat wave for Nov. No deer movement in the morning so no point in trying for a deer this afternoon. My daughter hasn't ever caught a chain pickerel. There is a small lake, Unicorn Lake, about 35 mins from the house that is supposed to have a good population of pickerel. I have fished the creek below the spillway previously but not the lake. We got to the lake about 3 pm. Sunset would be 5:30. Not much time to fish. Most of the lake banks were not accessible due to thick brush.. This lake also just does not have a lot of ambush cover that would hold pickerel that we could reach from the bank that we could fish.

Started Livie throwing a Blue fox gold spinner around some brush that she could reach from shore. I was throwing a weighted spoon. Other than spooking a large fish or three there was no takers. Livie switched to fishing a worm on a trout magnet minijig under a float. Livie on her second cast around that brush pile landed what would be her biggest fish a chunky golden shiner.

20201108_155039.jpg

We both caught a few small bluegill in the lake on the worm. 

I went to the car to get my 2# line rod to go fish the spillway creek. This spot does stock trout but there are also lots of sunfish in the creek. I put on Trout magnet microjig with a small trout size float and an orange body. I started getting bites while drifting the TM. Lots of bluegill and a few pumpkinseeds. I also had three or four fish actually strike.my float. One fish that I thought was hooked only had the float in its mouth🙄

Livie was catching one after another as well. We ended the day at sunset with 36 fish between us both. Lots of the sunfish were chunky 7 to 8 inch fish. Not bad for a small creek.