The Winter Finley

Guest MOfish447

Guest MOfish447
18 hours ago, Flysmallie said:

Yeah I’ve done a little of that. They are fun on dries. Then there will be whites. And then I can go back to the smallies. Plus I hate the cold anymore. 

Can’t forget about whites. Some of the most fun I’ve ever had! 

Guest MOfish447
18 hours ago, Johnsfolly said:

I've been here over 2 yrs and have not caught a smallmouth bass in Maryland. A lot of that is me chasing new species. However the smallie fishing from what folks that catch them here describe is not as good as in MO. I have smallies shy from baits when I have actually fished for them. Miss those ozark creeks and streams.  

Oh wow, I learn something new everyday 

• 4 weeks later...

I used to post more but I had a few years of lots of work and personal stuff that took most of my time - but I do live here in Ozark and fish the Finley year-round. Winter can be good but you need a Yak or canoe, and have to really careful about that cold water.

5 hours ago, ColdWaterFshr said:

My sister just bought a cabin at Lindenlure that came up for sale by word of mouth.  Went down to one of the floating docks there at the lake a couple weeks ago and couldn't believe how clear the water is.  Drop a pebble in 15 feet of water and watch it fall all the way to the bottom.

That’s a cool place. 

10 hours ago, ColdWaterFshr said:

My sister just bought a cabin at Lindenlure that came up for sale by word of mouth.  Went down to one of the floating docks there at the lake a couple weeks ago and couldn't believe how clear the water is.  Drop a pebble in 15 feet of water and watch it fall all the way to the bottom.

Linden is about five miles from my place.  I drive over Greenbridge every day.  The Finley is nice and yes, super clear right now.

Guest MOfish447
On 1/11/2021 at 7:54 AM, RSBreth said:

I used to post more but I had a few years of lots of work and personal stuff that took most of my time - but I do live here in Ozark and fish the Finley year-round. Winter can be good but you need a Yak or canoe, and have to really careful about that cold water.

Agreed. I normally run a kayak or duck boat. I have not been out on the Finley this winter besides some quick bank fishing. You?? 

I went to high school in Ozark. It has been several years since I’ve wet a line in the Finley. We used to float from Linden to the dam in Ozark quite a bit. I’ve never eaten a fish from the Finley. Back around 2000ish there was a “do-not-eat” order there due to some health concerns and I haven’t ever had the desire to eat a fish from there since. I’ve caught bass, goggleye, crappie, sunfish, and suckers on there. I’ve never caught anything of any real size, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t some fun to be had. I’ve never fished it in the winter, though I have floated a few times in the very early spring.