North Fork issue

Al Agnew

25 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Guess you have never been to Alaska....The bald eagle is a glorified vulture that prefers ripe carrion. They like their fish rotten and aged.

They do a lot of clean up duty here. Anytime that you see a bald eagle out in a field or woodlot on the ground there is likely a deer carcass nearby. If there are several you know that it still ahs some eat on the bone.

4 minutes ago, Ham said:

Why in the world would the otter only eat the head (Brains Brains Brains) ?  All about the crunch I guess. 

It was winter. So I agree that it was likely going for the brains. Not a whole lot of fatty tissue anywhere else on a bluegill.

I've heard that Otters will just thrill kill at times and let it go to waste. Usually in the cold of winter when the females are pregnant. MO Trappers Assoc said they do that before the young are born. An Otter is a nasty creature to begin with (A hair shy of a honey badger). A pregnant and hungry one has gotta be off the chart!

Broke a nice wooden paddle across an otters back years ago. Statute has run. My late friend Hank R just killed every one he ever saw with his 9mm. He was kinda scary when he got that out! 15 round clip. Pulled the trigger till it went click every time he got it out within 2-3 seconds!