City park fish kill

JUNGLE JIM 1

Willmore Park's fish population is wiped out. I had heard they had had died but had to see for myself so I checked it out a few days ago. Water is tap water clear and walking along the bank I could see lot's of dead fish lying on the bottom. Even the carp were dead so if they couldn't make it then nothing will. I fished there on a regular basis since it's close to home and noticed a few weeks ago that they turned the water on full blast to fill it since it was low. The next week it was still blasting out in the lake and I noticed that small bluegill were dying. I guess someone turned the water on and just forgot to turn it off and since the water has chlorine in it I assume they all died from chlorine poisoning. What a shame and waste. I have caught 4 bass over 8lbs over the years and some nice crappie as well.

What a friggin waste !!!! The city of St Louis employees at their finest.

blasting tap water into the lake for days on end is ever so brilliant. 
Jim I haven’t talked with ya in a while and I hope you and your family are doing well??

7 minutes ago, Smalliebigs said:

What a friggin waste !!!! The city of St Louis employees at their finest.

blasting tap water into the lake for days on end is ever so brilliant. 
Jim I haven’t talked with ya in a while and I hope you and your family are doing well??

Leaf blower one day fisheries biologist the next😑

1 hour ago, JUNGLE JIM 1 said:

Willmore Park's fish population is wiped out. I had heard they had had died but had to see for myself so I checked it out a few days ago. Water is tap water clear and walking along the bank I could see lot's of dead fish lying on the bottom. Even the carp were dead so if they couldn't make it then nothing will. I fished there on a regular basis since it's close to home and noticed a few weeks ago that they turned the water on full blast to fill it since it was low. The next week it was still blasting out in the lake and I noticed that small bluegill were dying. I guess someone turned the water on and just forgot to turn it off and since the water has chlorine in it I assume they all died from chlorine poisoning. What a shame and waste. I have caught 4 bass over 8lbs over the years and some nice crappie as well.

Dang!  Didn't something similar happen to your favorite Redear pond about a year ago or so?  Man....that really bites.  It takes a long time to grow big fish like that.

Maybe the best scenario is to make sure the City/County/MDC are informed, so they can get those ponds restocked ASAP.   Maybe they can even put some adult fish in it. Its starting over, but at least its a start.  Better than waiting for it to fix itself, right?

Carondelet's Horseshoe lake was wiped out two years ago when duck weed got so bad the lake looked like a putting green and the fish suffocated. I had caught two 13" Redear from that lake and I believe a state record would have been caught from there if it wasn't for the fish kill. I called several times warning them about the duck weed but they did nothing.  Only thing in there now are thousands of small sunfish and some catfish. No predators yet to keep the sunfish in check yet.  As soon as it gets warmer those dead fish at Willmore will start to float and you will smell it from a mile away.

You get some real dandies at those city park lakes...and I’m not talking about the fish!

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor