Steel leader recommendation

Turn the lights on at night on that pier or go hang some cheap flashlights...Fish it at 3 or 4am. You will probably catch fish. Snook or jack crevalle, maybe tarpon. Glass minnows, white flies about 2" long should work. Could probably trap some crab off of it too if in season. Think stone crab is open...Get some of that if available.

1 hour ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

Big ole chicken wing on a heavy baitcaster with steel leader at dusk.  SHARK!!!

Special permits are required if shark fishing from shore. 

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

• Members

Guys I live on the coast and fish the saltwater a lot. Like everyone is saying steel only for mackeral, blues and sharks. we catch a ton of Jack Crevalle up to 40lbs and use 80lb mono for a leader. Just check after a fish to be sure it has not gotten chaffed. For the trout and reds 20lb mono or flurocarbon is great.

I think they had too many yahoo’s catching and killing Sharks of ignorance. I think the permit is as much about education as anything. There minimum length limits on some and others are total catch and release. I don’t think they want the big ones drug around on the ground and killed out of disregard. 

In SC, at least in Myrtle Beach, you are not allowed to shark fish around or near any of their piers. No live bait and no cut bait larger than 2 " can be used. I think that has more to do about issues with swimmers for potential injury and perception, since you would have to drag the fish out of the water onto the beach.

1 hour ago, Johnsfolly said:

In SC, at least in Myrtle Beach, you are not allowed to shark fish around or near any of their piers. No live bait and no cut bait larger than 2 " can be used. I think that has more to do about issues with swimmers for potential injury and perception, since you would have to drag the fish out of the water onto the beach.

What you don’t know won’t hurt you I guess