Jump to content

January 12, Big M area


Recommended Posts

I got to the ramp yesterday at 0830, went late in the hopes that it would have warmed up to near freezing by then, but it was 26 when I got there.  This meme sums up my attitude about cold weather, well I'm not from Florida of course, but you get the picture:

large_Cold.jpg

 

The Ned bite was fairly good for a couple of hours, deep fish, averaging around 20 feet down near rocks and timber, but once the wind started whipping up the whitecaps I just couldn't fish the way I want to fish that ned in the locations where the fish are, so things got tough.  Threw some cranks around, but didn't get any bites on them.

Caught 9, 3 were keepers, all spots except one meanmouth.  The average size of the spots has been pretty nice lately, they won't win any tournaments, but fun to catch on spinning gear.

WT 44-45

large.Jan12spot.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Brings up a good point Jeff. I am pretty happy with what I wear for cold fishing. With the exception of gloves. I know this has been brought up before at some point. But what do people like for winter fishing gloves? Not like for ice fishing, but for casting and cranking.

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity...... Or you could just flip a coin???B)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Quillback said:

I got to the ramp yesterday at 0830, went late in the hopes that it would have warmed up to near freezing by then, but it was 26 when I got there.  This meme sums up my attitude about cold weather, well I'm not from Florida of course, but you get the picture:

large_Cold.jpg

 

The Ned bite was fairly good for a couple of hours, deep fish, averaging around 20 feet down near rocks and timber, but once the wind started whipping up the whitecaps I just couldn't fish the way I want to fish that ned in the locations where the fish are, so things got tough.  Threw some cranks around, but didn't get any bites on them.

Caught 9, 3 were keepers, all spots except one meanmouth.  The average size of the spots has been pretty nice lately, they won't win any tournaments, but fun to catch on spinning gear.

WT 44-45

large.Jan12spot.jpg

Pretty spot Jeff! I think that I see a hint of PBJ on its lip ;)!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, liphunter said:

Brings up a good point Jeff. I am pretty happy with what I wear for cold fishing. With the exception of gloves. I know this has been brought up before at some point. But what do people like for winter fishing gloves? Not like for ice fishing, but for casting and cranking.

Mike, the only gloves I wear while I'm fishing are sun gloves which are pretty flimsy, but help a little.  I used to have a fingerless pair of wool gloves which work pretty well and you can get those little chemical pack deals and stick them between the back of your hand and the glove, they will warm the blood in your veins on the back of your hand.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quillback said:

Mike, the only gloves I wear while I'm fishing are sun gloves which are pretty flimsy, but help a little.  I used to have a fingerless pair of wool gloves which work pretty well and you can get those little chemical pack deals and stick them between the back of your hand and the glove, they will warm the blood in your veins on the back of your hand.  

I wear golf rain gloves most of the time.  When it is too cold for them I go to beaded jersey gloves.  I take more than one pair incase mine get wet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.