S.O.T. Kayak Recommendations

Ok, I started the Pescador thread and now I have changed my mind on that model. After looking at it more and more I don't want the hole up front where the transducer could go. Seems to me that could get you hung up on a rock or tree limb just barely under the water. So now I am looking from something different. Would like price range to be under $900. I see they are making the Tarpon again so that could be an option for me, but i want to hear what else is out there that someone else has paddled already!

"you can always beat the keeper, but you can never beat the post"

There are only three things in life that are certain : death, taxes, and the wind blowing at Capps Creek!

Pescador is the old style Tarpon hull from WS molds. I have never hung up on a scupper hole, but I do keep plugs in them. We have had water snakes pop up thru them.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

All sit on tops have scupper holes.  Never had a rock or stick get stuck in one.  And the one that has a cutout on mine where I have my transducer mounted in has never given me any problems with it hitting anything.

-- Jim

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -- Doug Larson

No, not the scupper holes. I was referring to the the size of the hole where the transducer mounts? On the pescador it looked like something that could get hung up on something. I don't need that anyways since I wouldn't be mounting one. I see WS is making the Tarpon again so I am leaning towards that one right now. Feel Free has some nice ones as well, but not so sure about the wheel that is mounted on back.

There are only three things in life that are certain : death, taxes, and the wind blowing at Capps Creek!

Bassmaster#1 on here has a FeelFree Lure and he loves it.  He doesn’t use the wheel for much and it’s pretty much useless unless you are on concrete or hard ground. Just kind of drags through sand and gravel.  It’s a big boy of a kayak though and is super heavy.  Easy to stand in though. 

-- Jim

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -- Doug Larson

I guess I should include that I don't want anything over 60 pounds as well! I fish a lot by myself and getting it in and out of the truck real easy is a plus for me.

34 minutes ago, moguy1973 said:

Bassmaster#1 on here has a FeelFree Lure and he loves it.  He doesn’t use the wheel for much and it’s pretty much useless unless you are on concrete or hard ground. Just kind of drags through sand and gravel.  It’s a big boy of a kayak though and is super heavy.  Easy to stand in though. 

I've seen some guys that love that wheel. At least it offers some protection when dragging. I don't mind dragging mine through some gravel or sand but some of these parking lots and ramps would quickly destroy it. But it wouldn't be a deal breaker either way. Most of the SOTs are heavy. Mine is like 77 lbs. and unruly to carry. But it floats my fatass down the river!!

3 minutes ago, ollie said:

I guess I should include that I don't want anything over 60 pounds as well! I fish a lot by myself and getting it in and out of the truck real easy is a plus for me.

I understand that. Another good reason for you to stick to a 10 footer. 

Anybody have a Vibe? looking at the Yellowfin 100 right now and it looks pretty simple and sweet. I think Thursday I am going down to Bella Vista and take a look at one from Ozark kayak. I'll see what they have to offer.

Forgot to add this tidbit from my wife. I'm explaining to her what I am going to do with a canoe and kayak and she just looks at me and smiles. She says, "I don't care how many boats you have, I sell and collect jewelry all the time"!  Lol Green light if ever to buy as many as I want!

• 1 month later...

Pulled the trigger and picked up the yellowfin 100 in Caribbean Blue on Saturday. Now for all the customizing!