What kind of hawk is this?

Dutch

It crashed into one of our dining room windows while chasing a junco.  I sat there adelpated for about 15 minutes before it flew away.  I thought it might have to go through the concussion protocol before it could play again.

93F7BE1D-1371-405B-85E7-FF83E6731484.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Dutch said:

It crashed into one of our dining room windows while chasing a junco.  I sat there adelpated for about 15 minutes before it flew away.  I thought it might have to go through the concussion protocol before it could play again.

93F7BE1D-1371-405B-85E7-FF83E6731484.jpeg

Markings make me think it's a Sparrow Hawk A/K/A Kestrel. That would be a fairly small falcon -- about the size of a Blue Jay. Kind of rust colored, right?

Very beautiful and cool birds. We banded some of those in college. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 3.51.50 PM.png

John

I agree with the guys above,

Never had a Kestrel visit the bird buffet at our feeder but have had sharp shinned hawks take out songbirds regularly. Right now have 23  redbirds in for the evening sunflower jam. This is just a fraction of the frenzy.

thumbnail_0127211642.jpg

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

Sparrow hawk or American kestrel....years ago in my youth I fancied being a falconer, never could find a mentor...pre internet days....lots of rules and regulations a definite life commitment....sparrow hawks were and  continue to be my favorite...but too small to hunt effectively

anyone who feeds bird probably has encountered Cooper’s hawks,  they regularly snatched starlings at my feeders

MONKEYS? what monkeys?

2 hours ago, ness said:

Markings make me think it's a Sparrow Hawk A/K/A Kestrel. That would be a fairly small falcon -- about the size of a Blue Jay. Kind of rust colored, right?

Very beautiful and cool birds. We banded some of those in college. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 3.51.50 PM.png

You take good pictures!