Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You could also always swap out the rubber legs for hackle or other feather / fur fibers.  

Purist fly fishermen in Missouri are the fakest people alive. 

Exactly Mike,    Hated to say anything about this. Nothing tougher than making a drift as bait fisherman and tight lining there choice of bait. To each his or her own way of fishing. They really

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

There was Gina's drive through liquor store in East St Louis years ago....about 2 blocks away from the  pot in the box. Toss a $5 spot in the slot and out popped some weed. Folks used to have this stuff figured out.

 

In PA pretty common to have to go through a drive through beer distributor to get a few cases of beer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Johnsfolly said:

In PA pretty common to have to go through a drive through beer distributor to get a few cases of beer.

They have a lot of those drive through beer places in Texas where a stripper...errrr.....I mean nice young lady comes out to take your order. I think they only work for tips. 

“Anybody opens their mouth, gonna get a bullet. Anybody moves a little weird, little sudden, gonna get a bullet. Not a warning. Not a question. A bullet.”  - Major Marquis Warren

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 2/21/2021 at 9:15 PM, tjm said:

But they are  allowed in international fly fishing, and they meet the "any other material" tied to a hook requirement.

I am late back to this party but anyway. In a recent (year before last) a bunch of people, myself included wrote and ask for a more better definition of a fly from the state. An argument about whether foam was aloud under the state guidelines. At first they said foam wasn't allowed but so many of us wrote Think 100 or more and they finally relented and were supposedly going to address the definition of a fly and came back and replied that foam was fine since it usually was accompanied on the hook by some material like dubbing or peacock herl. However, Rubber by itself like silly worms would be prohibited in fly only areas. Think fly only section of Montauk, and Blue ribbon Streams. Outside those areas like the Meramec River, Inside Meramec Springs silly worms are allowed. Or bait sections of the parks and streams in general. This was the response we received from the Conservation Commission. Another subject about lack of agents, I used to fish Mark Twain Lake a lot for bass and it seemed every time I was there I was checked by an agent. I had not been checked for a license on any of the rivers for years in fact I can't think of one time in all the years I floated the streams of Missouri. Until two years ago. Two guys came around a sharp bend in the Current below Montauk each in a cheap Kayak. The first one flipped over and the second walked his canoe around the bend. It turned out they were Conservation Officers. One ask to check my license, after I stopped laughing at him. I ask him why I didn't see more of them since I see people snagging fish all the time and the reply was, there is only one agent per county. 

 

Bill 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bkbying89 said:

supposedly going to address the definition of a fly

They did change that, again.

 

1 hour ago, bkbying89 said:

replied that foam was fine since it usually was accompanied on the hook by some material like dubbing or peacock herl.

foam beetles sold in the park store are nothing but foam and rubber legs, not sure that I've ever seen a foam fly with herl or dubbing, but that doesn't matter because like the squirmy rubber both foam and rubber legs are "any other material" and that legally is that matters.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The simple and correct thing to do is eliminate FFO areas.  There are no scientific or logical reasons for those fly only regulations. I participated in a forum discussion once  on a forum with a large international fly fishing membership, and after many pages and hundreds of posts the members could not define what makes a fly a "fly" nor what makes fishing "fly fishing"; it can not be readily defined and any definition that the non-fly-fishing office workers in J. City come up with will be wrong.

The nearest we came to an acceptable definition said that fly fishing had to be done with a "fly  rod" and 'fly line." Which of course calls for more definitions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tjm said:

The simple and correct thing to do is eliminate FFO areas.  There are no scientific or logical reasons for those fly only regulations. I participated in a forum discussion once  on a forum with a large international fly fishing membership, and after many pages and hundreds of posts the members could not define what makes a fly a "fly" nor what makes fishing "fly fishing"; it can not be readily defined and any definition that the non-fly-fishing office workers in J. City come up with will be wrong.

The nearest we came to an acceptable definition said that fly fishing had to be done with a "fly  rod" and 'fly line." Which of course calls for more definitions.

8 hours ago, tjm said:

They did change that, again.

 

foam beetles sold in the park store are nothing but foam and rubber legs, not sure that I've ever seen a foam fly with herl or dubbing, but that doesn't matter because like the squirmy rubber both foam and rubber legs are "any other material" and that legally is that matters.

I would not be surprised if the changed definitions again. About the h

url or dubbing, I always cover the shank of the hook with something like dubbing. It is just the way I tie my flies with foam.

 

Bill

Link to post
Share on other sites

In fly fishing, You cast the weight of the fly line. In any other casting system you are casting the weight of the lure itself. Where does that leave euro fishing? Is it still fly fishing. I think the reason fly fishing has its own area is because of the belief that fishing with a fly rod is/was considered an art. In no other form do people spend so much time researching the food and needs of the fish they pursue. At least that's the way it used to be. Now it seems to be just another business.

 

Bill

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bkbying89 said:

In fly fishing, You cast the weight of the fly line. In any other casting system you are casting the weight of the lure itself. Where does that leave euro fishing? Is it still fly fishing. I think the reason fly fishing has its own area is because of the belief that fishing with a fly rod is/was considered an art. In no other form do people spend so much time researching the food and needs of the fish they pursue. At least that's the way it used to be. Now it seems to be just another business.

 

Bill

Ever try fishing with a fly rod on opening day or early morning in the bait area?  Too many people completely unaware of the space envelope required for a fly fisherman.  Or they just don’t care.  Safety is an excellent reason for a fly only section of stream.

Mike

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, nomolites said:

Ever try fishing with a fly rod on opening day or early morning in the bait area?  Too many people completely unaware of the space envelope required for a fly fisherman.  Or they just don’t care.  Safety is an excellent reason for a fly only section of stream.

Mike

                Exactly Mike,

   Hated to say anything about this. Nothing tougher than making a drift as bait fisherman and tight lining there choice of bait. To each his or her own way of fishing. They really need their place and as a fly fisherman I need mine. 

 

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

   If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

    " Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

         "Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

    " One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

  P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.