Now I know why our OAF micro fishers are so possessed with catching their tiny quarry.

55 minutes ago, MrGiggles said:

And delicious, if you can get around the bones. They're right up there with any other game fish. 

If you've ever had pickled herring, pickled northern is better.

Shad aren't much different than sardines. Throw them in a tin with some oil, probably taste about the same.

Went on a trip to Ontario years ago, we fried up yellow perch, walleye and pike together.  The pike were the best, but boney as you mention.

N. Pike are better eats than Walleye IMO. Nasty and vicious predators they are. It requires a few more cuts to clean one bone free, but great on the table.

Need to head up North this year....Time for some Smoked Fish, Pasties, Cheese Curds, Saturday Fish Boil,  Giant Cinnamon Rolls...Brook Trout, Pike, and Big Smallmouth.

I will stick to walleye, crappie, bluegill and white bass.  I have no desire to eat a creek chub or other minners.  But why all the hate for sardines?  I love them, and Vienna sausages, and pickled pigs feet.  The best thing about pigs feet is your buddies won sneak it out and eat it behind your back.

People say they love fish. What they mean is they love fried fish. What that means is they love the fried batter or breading. If they ate baked fish, the crappie and tilapia love would disappear.

There. I said it. Prove me wrong.

2 minutes ago, rps said:

People say they love fish. What they mean is they love fried fish. What that means is they love the fried batter or breading. If they ate baked fish, the crappie and tilapia love would disappear.

You're right, at least in my case.  If I'm going to bake fish it is always saltwater fish.

Used to go with my uncle out to Grindstone lake in Minnesota and catch smelt. Crazy, toothy, chub looking fish.

Used to bring them home by the 5 gallon bucket full, clean them with a scissors, cut the head off, slit the bellies and pull the guts out. Fry them whole. 

-Austin

1 hour ago, rps said:

I think my last three cooking posts with fish were all baked. Even a trout😏

48 minutes ago, Johnsfolly said:

I think my last three cooking posts with fish were all baked. Even a trout😏

Trout are ambivalent. Silver bullets fresh from the hatchery taste nasty. If they have been in the river a long time, the flesh turns orange. Then they are good.

20 minutes ago, rps said:

Trout are ambivalent. Silver bullets fresh from the hatchery taste nasty. If they have been in the river a long time, the flesh turns orange. Then they are good.

I agree but this was a stocker. With the waters out here you take what you can get. Was good with the crabmeat stuffing. The blackfish filets were a whole lot better.