Boundary waters!

Been quite a while, but yeah it's really awesome.   

Take plenty of DEET !   The deer flys and black flys are genuine bastards.  

We caught alot of Smallmouth and Pike on flyrod poppers. The best fish of the trip was a 12# Pike.   Lots of Smallmouth in the 12-15" range.   I'd love to go back.  

After fishing many summers in Upper Michigan we found that a little Vics Vaporub behind your ears will keep a lot of the bugs from around your head and face.  Off in the orange can was an attractant.  Never tried deep woods off.  We used a repellant called Cutters with great success.

Yes, like FW says lots of 100% DEET.  I have been a couple times and caught tons of fish - mostly smallies with some pike.  If I had only one bait I could use up there it would be a white and chartreuse spinner bait.

Mike

21 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

Been quite a while, but yeah it's really awesome.   

Take plenty of DEET !   The deer flys and black flys are genuine bastards.  

We caught alot of Smallmouth and Pike on flyrod poppers. The best fish of the trip was a 12# Pike.   Lots of Smallmouth in the 12-15" range.   I'd love to go back.  

Leaving august 29 glen.   

8 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

So SO TEMPTING!!!  🤔

I just brought the idea up to 3 friends.   Said I’m turning 40 and a buddy booked a plane ticket today.    I guess I’m in.   I suppose I need to do some calling!  I’m driving

On 3/8/2021 at 11:05 PM, luckycraft said:

Anyone ever fish up that way?   Or have advice on a trip for a week in late august/sept?

I did a quick 3-day, 2-night trip about 10 years ago.  Loved it.  Smallmouth and pike fishing was phenomenal, though we didn't catch any monsters.

Best advice I could give you is get in shape.  Those portages are not easy.  And along those lines, go with an outfitter that will provide you with kevlar boats.  We had royalex boats, but you would be surprised how big a difference that 15-20 lbs difference can be on a long portage.

Bugs weren't too bad for us in July.  I do recall a 1-2 hour period in the morning and in the evening when the bugs could be particularly bloodthirsty.  So yes, bring the deet.

we went in on the Canda side with Boy Scouts years ago. My boy Scoout is now 31. Great trip, Kevlar canoes for sure. If you're goin to fish I would not try to cover lots of water and try and do a layover in one spot so you get more fishing time less paddling.

The answer may not lie at the bottom of a glass, but you should always check