• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 dave potts

dave potts

Golden Redhorse

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Interests:flyfishing, flytying, rodmaking, woodworking, boating, shortwave radio

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:09 PM

Not sure where to post this but will try here. Has anyone fished Windrush this year? This is a private area near Cook Station, Mo where you can supposedly pay for a day of catch and release. I'm not sure they are still in operation. At one time they also owned a nearby place called Sprinrise but it is now private. Just wondered if anyone has fished Windrush and if so how was it?

Thanks
Dave

#2 brownieman

brownieman

Skipjack Herring

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:03 PM

Dave,
are you talking about that place down by Steelveel Mo.?
My friends say I'm a douche bag ??
bm <><

#3 dave potts

dave potts

Golden Redhorse

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Interests:flyfishing, flytying, rodmaking, woodworking, boating, shortwave radio

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:15 AM

The one south of Steelville was Springrise. It's now private. Windrush is near a small town called Cook Station and is about 20 or so miles south of St James. They were both owned by the same family at one time I believe. I'm told Windrush is still open but have never talked to anyone who has actually fished there so was trying to get a little info on it.

Dave

#4 davekeim

davekeim

Goldeye

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:20 AM

Try this. Lots of good info.

http://www.windrushfarms.com/

Signed,

Cardiac
Abdito!

Another Beautiful Day In The Ozarks

#5 Gavin

Gavin

WFT

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:24 AM

I think Windrush is still open and it hasnt changed hands. Fished there last winter but I'm not sure what there current hours of operation are. If they dont return your call, talk to Tom Hargrove and see if he can get you in.

As for the old "Dude Ranch", "Springrise" operation...it was sold and closed for awhile..Its know called "Westover Farm" they have added cabins & sporting clays, etc and its open for C&R fishing a couple days a week. Cheers.

#6 brownieman

brownieman

Skipjack Herring

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 01:36 PM

As for the old "Dude Ranch", "Springrise"

Thats good gavin..."Dude Ranch"... sure you spelled dude right i.e. "Dud"...all kidding aside got a laugh outta that one.
bm <><

#7 turp

turp

Bleeding Shiner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:10 PM

Three of us went to springrise (Westover) Saturday before last. We caught in excess of 200 trout. Lots of 6" to 8" fish, but 9 or 10 over 18". There are several fish in there from 4-6 pounds. Chamois worms, small jigs and roostertails did the best.

#8 dave potts

dave potts

Golden Redhorse

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:40 PM

Turp,
I thought Springrise was now private.

Dave

#9 drew03cmc

drew03cmc

Bluntnose Darter

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:06 PM

westoverfarms.com
Andy

#10 turp

turp

Bleeding Shiner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:53 AM

Itis, but my buddy has been going there for years and they let us fish. They are making it a corporate retreat, building cabins all over. I don't know how long we can keep going there.

#11 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station

Bigmouth Buffalo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:41 AM

Huh??? Looks like it's pay-to-play just like when Quint and Cicely had it.
'Cept for the fact that Paul Dallas is no longer allowed on the property ;-)

http://westoverfarms...es-fishing.html

#12 brownieman

brownieman

Skipjack Herring

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:52 PM

Just viewed the link to " Westover farms" given by Terrapin Station.

Definately some big money being spent there by someone or several in what is in my opinion an endeavor to emulate...for lack of better words..."The way it used to be".

IMO these type facilities I fear will be one of the few options my grandson will have as he gets older.

Their website is attractive but to me is just a nicely presented sales pitch which is what it is meant to be...I would do the same in the same position.
You have to market your product or it is not much of an attempt for success.

It is a good honest, expensive attempt to offer the "best of both worlds" and I would say will be highly successful. Some will pay big bucks for this type of recreation.
At least it's their choice and their own money they are spending...which imo is not always the case.
bm <><

#13 drew03cmc

drew03cmc

Bluntnose Darter

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:15 PM

I wonder the daily cost for C&R as well as the quality of the trout fishing!
Andy

#14 Gavin

Gavin

WFT

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:04 AM

The cost isnt outrageous...think its around $50 a day, and the prosti-trouts are ready and willing..Lots of fish if thats what you want, and some wicked huge fish too. Both are fun places to take a beginner for a couple hours. Cheers.

#15 brownieman

brownieman

Skipjack Herring

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:41 AM

The cost isnt outrageous...think its around $50 a day, and the prosti-trouts are ready and willing..Lots of fish if thats what you want, and some wicked huge fish too. Both are fun places to take a beginners for a couple hours. Cheers.

At that rate the return shouldn't take too long...seems high to me but I am not a wealthy man...guess money doesn't matter to thoses who have a ton of it, I'll never know, lol.

Not being a smarty gavin but what do you mean by 'wicked'

Guess it bothers me to have to pay for fishing period...due to state regs. we already are paying...I know less than most states but still...

This being private must one possess a fishing permit / trout stamp or do you know, just curious ?
bm <><

#16 Gavin

Gavin

WFT

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:59 AM

I detect a bit of class envy in your posts. You pay for what you get, but its not much different than fishing in any other trout park. Though I have to admit that its usually a more pleasant experience.

As for wicked huge fish..If you look for them its not hard to spot a 5lb plus fish, and occassionally you might see one or two in the 10-12lb rangs. Most of the fish run in the 15-18" range (2-3lb ave). Cheers.

#17 drew03cmc

drew03cmc

Bluntnose Darter

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:07 PM

Nice...I may take a trip there this summer. $50 is ok for a pay to play kind of thing, but I almost prefer our wild trout streams to catching hundreds of fish.......
Andy

#18 brownieman

brownieman

Skipjack Herring

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 01:06 PM

I detect a bit of class envy in your posts. You pay for what you get, but its not much different than fishing in any other trout park. Though I have to admit that its usually a more pleasant experience.

As for wicked huge fish..If you look for them its not hard to spot a 5lb plus fish, and occassionally you might see one or two in the 10-12lb rangs. Most of the fish run in the 15-18" range (2-3lb ave). Cheers.

No envy at all gavin...sorry if i projected that...just wondered about the word 'wicked' not 'huge fish' and was curious about how the regs. applied it being private.

I have only boughten 1 tag for the parks many years ago and I understand to each their own...just was not the experience I was looking for.

cheers to you too my friend !
bm <><

#19 Gavin

Gavin

WFT

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 01:33 PM

No worries, meant to put an LOL, after the class envy remark, but forgot to do it.

It's private water, most choose to fly fish but bait is ok too...Most folks fly fish and C&R, but your paying by the pound, (or kill one accidentally) you pay the property manager for them and your paid reciept will allow you to transport your fish home (no limit on pay by the pound, no fishing license required).

#20 jrbhc8

jrbhc8

Bigmouth Quillback

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:57 AM

I fished Westover several weeks ago, so I can tell you a little about it. It's a really nice place, but I think that they are spending their money in some of the wrong places. Lots of 6 inches in the river, so many that you couldn't cast without getting a hit. This makes it hard to drift down for the big boys though. We did catch our fair share of decent fish, but honestly I expected a little more. The biggest fish seen all day was probably 4 lbs, I was hoping to see a few over 10 lbs. We asked the guy working and they said the biggest fish they raise were about 6 lbs last year.

Don't get me wrong those 4-6 lbs are nice, but when I'm paying $50.00 to fish I at least want a chance at some monsters. We only seen about a handful of those fish also. Needless to say we paid for a full day and left at 1:00 P.M..

Overall the stream has some potential, but not unless they change some things. I'm not knocking the place, but I expected too much. Just my honest opinion.
www.troutchapters.com
jrbhc8
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
| <)))><
| <)))><
|
|
>)))><

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

count web page traffic
XM Satellite Radio