Leaping Spoonbill ?

skeeter

Anybody seen the usual Summertime leaping Spoonbill yet this year ? Amazing how these large fish come straight up completely out of the water and have no idea why this behavior exists. Used to see this happen at LOZ back in the 50's and ever since MDC stocked them in TR. If you happen to be looking at the piece of water they erupt from you'll swear for a minute someone put a new buoy there :lol:

I haven't been out this year on TRL, but I've seen it in the past. It can startle you if it happens close by. I've read biologists don't know why they do it. Must just be fun.

“Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.” Henry David Thoreau

Visit my web site @ webfreeman.com for information on freelance web design.

This happened to me on LOZ. I was on a jetski and I had a spoonbill jump right in front of me and I hit it going probably mid 30s and it spun off to the left side of the PWC. One of the cooloest things ever!

Andy

I have seen Spoonbill do this a lot of times. Especially this time of year.

I would rather be fishin'.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

I'm not an educated idiot by paper but i am an idiot, lol...I'll take a stab at this one.

spoonys swim around all day with their mouths wide open...their gills filter plankton from the water which is what their main diet consists of...this being imo the reason for the spoon.

you see whales leap from the water in the same fashion...they feed on ocean plankton.

could this be an effort to feed more efficiently, ya know, get something a little bigger than plankton like a mouth full of shad. Small shad are pretty thick right now from what i've heard.

don't really know but i suspect anything is possible...just cause the bioligists don't know don't mean squat to this ole boy, lol.

My friends say I'm a douche bag ??

bm <><

oh wow brownieman you said a mouth full that I just happen to agree with.

Now what I would like to know is at a 10 degree angle. will water flow faster North, South, East or West? I say East what about anyone else?

Fish slow and easy!

Borrowed this one from..........Well you know who!

A proud memer of P.E.T.A (People Eating Tasty Animals)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

im not sure if this has anything to do with the truth but ive also seen carp do this alot and have been told by some seriouslly professional carp fisherman that they are dislodging parasites from under their scales however spoonies dont have scales so could they be cleaning out their gills for a good feeding like we do with a toothpick or piece of straw? its at least a good possability i think. :goodjob:

I read something about Leaping Sturgeon, a bio speculated that they were leaping to let other sturgeon know that they had a good spot to hang out, good food, deep water, whatever. The theory being that the loud splashes would bring in other sturgeon. Kind of like one of us finding a good burger joint and calling our friends using the cell to let them know.

But it's just a theory..

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know about all them theories and such, but I sure do like to see them jump out of the water with a 10/0 treble in their sides in the springs. :goodjob:

I can't wait to snag some more spoonies on the Rock again next spring!!