Danoinark

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I share your desire for a chance at some nice Brookies in Missouri and from some of the things I've read, Brookies were stocked in Missouri at one time. I don't recall the locations, sorry. But as trout aren't native to these waters and, again from things I've read, Brook trout have a tendency to overpopulate, MDC may not be inclined to introduce them into Taneycomo where they could outcompete existing populations. Sorry to be something of a wet blanket! (I think its really more about me and not wanting to get my hopes up.)

Bob

i don't think anybody's getting their hopes up, but if brookies overpopulate, how is it that the white and norfork do so well with them in there? and what about cutthroats? if nothing else, we might as well know why not. if there's not much of a reason, its at least worth a shot to try to get em, the worst that could happen is nothing changes.

Cute animals taste better.

I googled for anything about Brookies and Cuts in Missouri, and the only thing I could even come up with was an MDC publication about a disease that is monitored....

"Civiello considers this disease unusual because it can be transmitted from mother to youth through the egg. Of all freshwater trout, brook trout are affected most severely, followed by browns. Rainbows are least affected. BKD can kill a lot of trout in a very short time if not quickly discovered and treated."

This would not be an issue I presume since the hatchery keeps constant check on this particular disease.

Dano

Glass Has Class

"from the laid back lane in the Arkansas Ozarks"

I have asked MDC if they would consider an egg trade with Arkansas for Brooks or Cutts and the answer was the same each and every time that its been brought up : they do not have the funds available or the space to introduce a new species of trout. The always remind me that MDC stocked Kokanee Salmon in 1968 and 1969, but they were eating stocker size trout out of the lake.. so they stopped rather quickly.

One guy said to me once.. if it aint broke.. why fix it ? concerning the introduction of other new trout species into Taneycomo. I would be all for it.. like Dano said / an Ozarks grand slam is a real treat, and somedays if you get into a real bunch of small fish you could grand slam 4 or 5 times over.

Those brookies I have read are quite weak...polar opposites from the brown trout. Raising brookies is difficult work.. takes a lot of extra time and preventative measures. I am not sure on the cutts.. but they are really pretty and like the brookie it would be neat-o to pull one out of Taney. You can imagine how difficult it would be to teach the tourists what trout is which specie. We have trouble enough now getting the tourists the difference between a brown and rainbow.. I could only imagine how much more diffucult it would make the jobs of the game wardens.

Oh, and you guys were talking about Cutt-Bows in Taney.. its true. The MDC sometimes buys eggs from cross strained fish.. and even the fish they do use out of Taney itself.. sometimes they end up with strains crossing one another. Wether or not you could get someone to admit that outright.. thats probably not gonna happen. They want us to believe it is only rainbow or browns.. nothing in between. But no doubt we have all caught the fish that looks way too much like a cross between a rainbow and a cutthroat to call it a cut-bow.

Funny thing.. years ago.. I mentioned in jest to a guy that I caught a rainbrown. He was all -- wow -- and we took it much further and came up with brownbow.. and Kokabow and BowKokaBrown.

best fishes - Brian

Just once I wish a trout would wink at me!

ozarkflyfisher@gmail.com

I'm the guy wearing the same Simms longbilled hat for 10 years now.

Thanks Brian those are logical explanations of what the MDC is probably thinking. I wonder if in time they have become more agressive though. Maybe they are ready and willing to try new things.

Wish they would just purchase some brookies from the Federal hatchery at Norfork and give them a try. <_<

Dano

Glass Has Class

"from the laid back lane in the Arkansas Ozarks"

• Root Admin

Ditto, Brian. We've had this discussion many times. MDC's comeback - it's a management issue. They're harder to grow an manage, and their growth rate is much slower than a rainbow or brown.

I'd love to see different species too. With the new addition to Shepherd, we have a better chance, but like someone mentioned- don't hold your breath.

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg

well, there's always a chance, and i bet if enough people wanted it, the management issue could be overcome.

a little off subject, but i really want to catch brooks and cutts now... how far is either the norfork or white from rogers, ar?

Cute animals taste better.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I beleive beaver tailwater by Eureka Springs holds all 4 species and that is within 30 or 40 miles of Rogers.

Brian Sloss

www.elevenpointflyfishing.com

www.elevenpointcottages.com

(417)270-2497