Featured
duckydoty
duckydoty

Tried to catch a deer but got these instead

Launched at K Dock early for a sit in the woods and brought along some fishing gear for a mid day try at some walleye.  Nothing moving but the crows this morning.  The wind picked up and started blowing good around 10 am so I climbed down out of the stand and hit some flats. Tried crawler harnesses at a bunch of different speeds and then the wind started getting too strong to troll against it.  Switched over to 3 ounce bottom bouncers with Flickershad  and ran with the wind trying to stay at about 2 mph. Finally crossed out into the 27-28 foot of water range and started spotting fish on the fish finder. Was not long and one rod went down. Got it about 1/2 way in and it came off. Felt pretty good on the 9 foot rod.  Deployed B.B. again, got the proper bounce going and 2 rods went down.  A 23 and a 24 in walleye.  Before I could get either rod back out, the 3rd rod went down and it was a 16 inch stinking green bass.  Tossed it back in while yelling at it to never come back.  Got all 3 rods out again and headed back down wind where I was marking fish. One rod went down bringing in another 24 inch walleye.  Second rod goes down with a short stinking bass.  Pulled everything in to circle around and make another pass with the wind.  At the very end of the marked area one of the rods went down getting a 25 incher.  Best 1 1/2 hour of walleye fishing I’ve had.  

Evening sit in the woods, had 3 does within 17 yards. Was hoping for the big guy to be in tow.  Not this time.

BEAA5BC4-1666-40B7-8DF8-3EFCF61F9414.jpeg

B6E4840B-E9E1-4A2F-BA58-E99496539E77.jpeg

767BF041-5235-46D8-AFDB-E8F4D8293A0C.jpeg

65A54089-B918-43D5-A470-41363D79D154.jpeg

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Ducky, I've read about your 3 oz bouncer/Flicker Shad set up before. I've bounced floating cranks before, but not a diving crank like a FS. How long of a leader are you running between the bouncer and the FS? I'm intrigued. Great report, BTW. Hope a big buck walks under you soon!

WM 

6 hours ago, Walleyedmike said:

Ducky, I've read about your 3 oz bouncer/Flicker Shad set up before. I've bounced floating cranks before, but not a diving crank like a FS. How long of a leader are you running between the bouncer and the FS? I'm intrigued. Great report, BTW. Hope a big buck walks under you soon!

WM 

I’m running 7-9 feet of 17 pound test.  Do not lift the bottom bouncer out of the water while reeling in a fish until you are ready to net it.  I can not tell you how many fish I have lost until I figured that out.

On 10/31/2018 at 4:28 AM, duckydoty said:

I’m running 7-9 feet of 17 pound test.  Do not lift the bottom bouncer out of the water while reeling in a fish until you are ready to net it.  I can not tell you how many fish I have lost until I figured that out.

I can add that I’ve been fired from netting fish in just such a situation 😬

You need some down-riggers. 

I yelled at a bad net man once. I had a nice fish on in a tournament and he was notorious in our group for knocking fish off with a net. I yelled before he even tried to net the fish. And he netted it just fine. I felt horrible about it. But he was able to easily accept my apology while I split up the 1st place winnings on a day when he didn't boat a fish. 

My dad knocked off a double digit bass for me with a net. That was interesting.