Phil Lilley
Phil Lilley

Lake Taneycomo, November 21

Same generation and flood gates today.  Very cold and windy so tough fishing conditions but there were a few boats out.  

Dissolved oxygen levels remain very good, especially down away from the dam as the water mixes.  The water coming out of the turbines is still quite low in O2 but the water coming over the top is rich in oxygen.  The sulphur smell as all but gone away.  Color of the water in the lake is green and fairly clear.  Hasn't looked this good in a couple of months.

MDC has continued to stock rainbows in the Branson Landing area.  We have been sending people down that way for a couple of weeks to find fish and they've done very well.  Freshly stocked rainbows tend to chase things so I'd throw a spinner, spoon or a small crank bait.  This also works well because of the windy conditions.  Trolling would be good too.

I couldn't get a reading of the water coming from Table Rock in to the hatchery today... the hatchery manager, Clint Hale, got married today so they were down to a skeleton crew.

I did want to mention that before they started running the flood gates we were warning anglers that if they were catching trout and releasing them to take special care of them because of the water quality being so bad.  The rainbows I caught yesterday up close to the dam showed a lot of strength and stamina, evidence that at least while the gates are open, our trout are in very good shape.  This doesn't mean you shouldn't take good care of a fish you're intending to release.  But it does mean that, for now, our fish are very capable of handling a good fight--and keep on going!

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.