Phil Lilley
Phil Lilley

Lilley's Lake Taneycomo Fishing Report, March 25

I've been hesitant about writing a fishing report for Taneycomo this week because I know as soon as I do the Corps will change the generation pattern and thus completely blow my report of out the water.  So I'm going to write a short one and wait for the change which I think will happen in the next couple of days.

They've been blowing 15,000 cubic feet of water per second since March 15.  That's 14,256,000,000 cubic feet of water or 106,634,000,000 gallons of water in 11 days.  The flow is equal to 4 full tubines running but only 3 are online so they're making up for the extra flow by spilling 5,000 c.f.s. over and through 5 gates.

Water temperature is about 41 coming through the turbines and about 45 over the top.  When mixed, we're seeing 44 degrees down around the resort.  Clarity is pretty clear.

We've seen some shad come over the top of the dam for sure but we might be seeing some come through the turbines.  White jigs are doing ok but dragging white shad flies is producing a lot more fish.  I've been really trying to make my jigs work but I just can't beat the numbers of rainbows mainly being caught between the dam and Trophy Run.

Phil Stone's clients caught some nice rainbows drifting from Lookout through the Narrows dragging small 1/16th ounce jigs on the bottom on Wednesday.  And others are dragging a double scud rig on the same drift, using a #10 or #12 gray scuds with 4-pound line.

Again, I worked the bluff bank using an 1/8th-ounce white jig and only caught a couple on one drift... not the success I'd think I'd have if these fish are seeing shad.

From Fall Creek down, the water is fast and it's hard to get anything to the bottom unless you're drifting from the big log cabin down and staying on the inside of the lake.  Scuds, minnows and night crawlers are doing just ok here.  You really need to stay down below the Riverpointe Estates boat ramp, I think, to get a good drift.  The flat from Short Creek to Trout Hollow has been producing good numbers of rainbows.

Drifting minnows from the bend past our place and staying middle to inside of the lake has been pretty good too.

The creek downtown are the best and easiest place to catch a limit of rainbows.  They're going up into Turkey, Coon and Roark Creek to get out of the current and finding warmer water.  Our guides are still catching them on the Pink worm under a float, fishing it 4-feet deep, 4-pound line.  I've also heard of people catching them throwing spoons and rooster tails.

Table Rock is approaching 916 feet, only 1 foot over power pool.  It should hit it by tomorrow morning, depending on how much rain falls today.  Honestly, I'm surprised they've ran it this hard as long as they have, and I'm really not sure if they will slow it down once the level drops below 916 feet.  But chances are they will back off a bit, at least shutting down the spill gates.  This will slow the water down and make it easier to fish, especially in areas like just below Fall Creek where a lot of big trout are usually caught.

We will see.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

• Root Admin

I found some fish this evening... some nice fish.  From Lookout Island down to the Narrows on the BLUFF.  White 1/8th oz jig worked from the bank out 30 feet.  Pay close attention to the eddies.

Caught 5 rainbows and hooked and lost 2.  All were at least 16+ inches.  2 pushing 20.  I measured one, it was 19.5 inches.

They were thumping it.

7 hours ago, fshndoug said:

Would love to see those trout held with both hands instead by their jaw.

Thx!   I don’t like calling people out but if those were released I doubt they survived.  I hope that’s not a guide doing that everyday to fish.  

• Root Admin

There's really no good way to "handle" bigger trout in a boat.  Touch them and you'll wipe off their slim.  A boga has the risk of ripping out their lower jaw.  Handing them even with 2 hands and they're dropped in the boat.  There's no winners.  Best is to flip them off the hook over the water with no pic... but that's not going to happen on a guide trip.

• Root Admin

Reports are the creeks have been pounded and few fish are left.  If MDC stocked down in the Landing area, they might get replenished.  There are some big blue gill being caught above the bridge and around the docks though.

And reports of crappie are coming in, being caught around the docks at Rockaway Beach, upper end of the town.

You are spot on when releasing fish the way you do over the water in your videos. I think if you wet your hands before touching the fish there is less chance of wiping the slime off. I really love watching people drag or kick the fish up on the bank and then mess around for 5 minutes getting their camera ready.

12 hours ago, fshndoug said:

Would love to see those trout held with both hands instead by their jaw.

Trout fishermen using boga grips is just laughably stupid. I caught two this past week that had split jaws from this crap. A lot of guides do it, too. Net them, take the hook out, keep them in the water until you're ready to snap a pic. Take them out and snap it. Back in the net and released.

If it is not a picture worthy fish, I just use my pliers (on jerkbaits) and grab the hooks and shake them off right into the water. It's pretty easy. 

As Phil said, just no good way to get that photo without some danger to the fish. For the most part the clients we take are on their one and only fishing trip of the year and know nothing except what we try and help them with. Lots of Spring break kids this time of year. 

Most not wanting to kill fish, but all wanting that photo for their $300 plus dollar 4 HR trips.  None understanding the fragility or really the protection of the fish. 

To most it is an unlimited resource, especially if they have fished the salt or Texoma in the past. They just don't understand what the fuss is about.

I hate the boga  as it can split the lower jaw in certain cases. I've been lucky and of the 10's of thousands of trout my clients have caught I have never seen a split lip trout on Taney. Unlike Alaska as I have seen many there. 

I don't post a lot of trout pic's as for the most part, I'm in them as I pretty much insist, that I hold the fish for the client to assure that it doesn't hit the bottom of the boat. 

Lets be thankful the majority of these folks throw those 20 inchers back with just a quick photo and not be to hard on them for their excitement about the photo to remember them by. 

4 hours ago, Ryan Miloshewski said:

Net them, take the hook out, keep them in the water until you're ready to snap a pic. Take them out and snap it. Back in the net and released.

This!!  Thanks. @Ryan Miloshewski   I use barbless hooks too.  Sure I lose a lot of fish but most of the time when I get it into the net the hooks are already out.  

5 hours ago, Bill Babler said:

As Phil said, just no good way to get that photo without some danger to the fish. For the most part the clients we take are on their one and only fishing trip of the year and know nothing except what we try and help them with. Lots of Spring break kids this time of year. 

Most not wanting to kill fish, but all wanting that photo for their $300 plus dollar 4 HR trips.  None understanding the fragility or really the protection of the fish. 

To most it is an unlimited resource, especially if they have fished the salt or Texoma in the past. They just don't understand what the fuss is about.

I hate the boga  as it can split the lower jaw in certain cases. I've been lucky and of the 10's of thousands of trout my clients have caught I have never seen a split lip trout on Taney. Unlike Alaska as I have seen many there. 

I don't post a lot of trout pic's as for the most part, I'm in them as I pretty much insist, that I hold the fish for the client to assure that it doesn't hit the bottom of the boat. 

Lets be thankful the majority of these folks throw those 20 inchers back with just a quick photo and not be to hard on them for their excitement about the photo to remember them by. 

Shouldn't it be part of a guide trip to educate folks on handling trout, as well as preserving a fishery/resource so they can come back and spend the $300 again? Or, like you do, and holding the fish for them as mom or dad takes a pic?

Too many newer guides, at Taney and other places, are not concerned about getting the client a pic, but a pic for their social media to show how good they are at catching fish.