Featured
Bill Babler
Bill Babler

2-22-20 White River Table Rock Lake Current Report

White River Outfitters Guide Service Eagle Rock Report

IMG_3078.jpg

Had to go home so I could catch a fish.  Launched at Eagle Rock at 6:45 this morning and was not the first rig at the ramp.  Surface temp at 47.8 water color was James River green with about 4' visibility, some folks would say just perfect and it was pretty perfect for me.  Air temp was 22 degree when I started and both the reel and rod kept freezing for the first couple of hours.  Didn't seem to matter as the LM were up just where should be.

IMG_3075.JPG

Bluffends, points in front of big spawning pockets and timbered transitions leading in to those pockets.  Kind of like Dockit the other day, had a nice limit by 8:30 and these fish kept biting.  Had one bluffend point that I caught 11 with 10 keepers off of.  Most all fish with the exception of two keeps that were caught on a Pig Sticker with a Chompers twin tail were caught on the A-rig.  2.8 Keitech in Pro blue Red.

IMG_3070.jpg

Water was really slick and I tried the floater but no success.  Also tried a jerker when it started to ripple a bit but nothing except A-rig fish.

Bite started funny, as they would push it and it would also go slack.  I was having a hard time until they started eating it.  One of my shorts came as a double and while I tried to get that picture they both came off.  Wanted to take it in the water but good luck with that.  On one of the catches I had either 3 or 4 followers swimming below the caught fish, so for a change I was around them.

IMG_3065.JPG

Pretty sure they were all Bucks, just full of shad coming out both ends.  Best one today was 3.60.

Fished within 1/2 mile either side of the 86 bridge, and left them biting at 12:00 noon.  

Lots of boats and fishermen out, but nothing like the Dam/Kimberling area.  I just don't think those fish were nearly as beat up as they are on this end.   Every fish I caught was a LM and I had about 20 total.

IMG_3077.jpg

Surface temp at the ramp at noon was pushing 49 degree.

Good Luck

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

That’s a great day. I was down there mainly to clean up the boat and organize tackle but I fished for 5 hours at the dam and caught 3 just one keeper. There was a few boats but with that many boats in AiA they must of been towards the river arms more. I tried the arig in all usual spots and caught those three off one location in between docks that had a rock shelf by a channel swing and they came in a jerkbait. Some days you just don’t have it but I thought I would catch more. After looking at the results I really stunk it up. 

3 hours ago, Bill Babler said:

Wish I had Panoptics, one of these days, its just a matter of time.  Nope, I found these the old fashion way, I caught them there before.😄  

From what i heard yesterday one of the guys that had a big bag said he would have never been able to catch them without Panoptics.  I believe he was winding an A-rig deep right over the trees and could see the fish come out of the trees at the A-rig.  I think he said with out the Livescope he would have been hung in the trees all day.

Spoke to another guy fishing the same pattern and he caught a limit around 14 pounds the same way but using an underspin just over the trees.  He did have Livescope but still lost about a dozen.Jewel under spins, and 2 A-rigs.

Quite a few years ago here Brian Snowden won an event prior to the A-rig and underspin and won it the same way however he was cranking a DD22 thru the tree tops.  He lost about a dozen of them, but he was totally sponsored by Bill Norman so it didn't cost him anything.

Really and Dockit and Bo will back me on this, way prior to the Rig we have seen huge bags swimming mostly C-tail grubs thru deep trees this time of the year.  It's been a pattern here since I can remember.  It has just been refined with new baits and new electronic technology.

I got lucky yesterday and did not lose any.  If your just fun fishing and have to pay full price for your baits, some of these patterns just don't come into play for a normal recreational angler as with the price of baits today it is just flat to expensive.  You have to wait a bit for the fish to get a bit more available and out of their Hiddy Holes and it won't be long.

yes bill you are right.  most of the catching methods of today are things used long ago, but techniques have been refined.  

i don't think it is fair that you are up here rousting my fish while i am still healing my wrist😀.  first week of march and i will be back out.  those are some really nice lmgs that you caught.

bo

34 minutes ago, aarchdale@coresleep.com said:

Ive said it before on here but the Hound dog lure retriever works wonders on an a-rig.  I Havent lost one all year and probably saved 10 with the hound dog

the ol' dog is just like american express, don't leave home without it.  i've used one for decades.  it keeps from littering the lake with lures for no reason.  it also save time and money.

bo

Regarding the C-tail grub, I can still remember a Truman Lake hammer (related to Chomper Baits) fishing a tourney on Table Rock and winning with 20# using the C-tail). He had some help with local knowledge but he still got the job done. 

In Oct 2011, Paul Elias showed everyone what the A-rig could do and one of our favorite local guides got schooled real quick and won a Table Rock event in Nov 2011 and he caught a 6# kicker that he did not even need.

Now the same guide may be introducing Live Scope + A-rig as the new combination required to be competitive in a February tourney. So jump on the bandwagon or be a contributor. In the tourney yesterday I watched guys looking down at there graph 90% of the time and throwing the rig. 

Jerry McCutchen was that Truman Lake  Hammer your thinking of, he was fishing with Sonny Chapin of Chompers ie Table Rock Bait Company.  And, if memory serves me it was 26 lbs. plus.

Dock, Thursday we were fishing it out in front of us and watching it come thru the water.  You have to point the livescope transducer at it to see the bait.  You can watch it fall to the correct depth, no guessing and see fish run at it.  A friend that fished yesterday said he saw multiple fish come out of trees and just come from depth to look at it and then turn away.  Don't always work,  but you can for sure see them, if your pointed that way.

6 hours ago, merc1997 said:

the ol' dog is just like american express, don't leave home without it.  i've used one for decades.  it keeps from littering the lake with lures for no reason.  it also save time and money.

bo

Im with ya on that, I was just surprised how it works well with an a-rig.  I would have never thought it would knock them loose as well as it does.  

On 2/23/2020 at 1:41 AM, aarchdale@coresleep.com said:

Well the Giant i was speaking of was 7.30.  The pic it looked much bigger than that.. Still one heck of a Table Rock fish

We had a 5.78 in the AiA derby and it was 5th for big bass.  There were some good ones caught this weekend for sure.