Featured
rps
rps

An Outing on the Insane Upper End

Hello, my name is Randy and I am a fishing addict.

Despite all the reasons NOT to go out this morning, I went out of HI at 10 AM. I will have kids in the Classroom on Monday, and I had the urge to fish before then. As I idled to the no wake buoy I noted fish at 20 feet with bait above them. I added that to reports that others have posted recently.  I decided to troll a crank at 20' to start. In three hours I had five fish on. Three came unbuttoned before I could get them in the boat. One, a bass, was foul hooked and shook off on a jump. Two others that behaved like walleye, got off when they hung me in brush or trees. I netted  the other two.

All hit an original series wiggle wart in firetiger trolled in water between 19 and 21 feet deep with 150 feet of 10/2 braid out from the rod tip at 1.8 to 2.0 mph. All hits came as the bait ricocheted off the bottom or trees and changed speed - reaction bites.

My Lund is a very safe boat, but it is only 16.5 feet long and made of aluminum. By 1:00 PM it was no longer safe to be amongst the tube towers, the wakeboarders, and the slow cruisers not quite on plane.

Be safe everyone!

fullsizeoutput_4b7.jpeg

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

On 8/12/2017 at 9:38 PM, BrowningCollector.com said:

43 years of fishing TR and I've never seen it like this summer.  Written my letters to $Long, $$McCaskill and $$$Blunt along with making my views known (politely) to the Corps and Water Patrol.  Hoping everyone else has also.

How in the world they allow massive cruisers on a lake like TR is beyond me. The wake board boat chaos was down right nuts.  Cutting in front of one another, not paying a bit of attention to what was going on around them. 

Let's think about this for a minute and it should become more than obvious how this situation has come about.

IF our democracy was operating as intended way back when, we might have a chance. But, pun intended, that ship sailed long ago. The little guy has no voice anymore because of one simple factor ... MONEY. In a perfect world, moral integrity would prevail. But the world, nor this country, is anywhere near perfect. The U.S. is a Godless, depraved, morally bankrupt society where the will of the rich is rampantly imposed on everyone else. 

The boats that you want "legislated" off of Table Rock, or even just policed, are owned by the rich folks. They pay huge amounts of money to store these rigs in the biggest marina slips on the lake. They pump millions of dollars worth of fuel into them, rent or buy the most expensive properties around the lake, dine at the finest restaurants and otherwise generally throw money around like it's toilet paper.

Meanwhile, fishermen --- for the most part --- tow their rigs from home, stay at modest fish camp-style resorts or camp at Corps campgrounds, buy fuel sparingly and often dine on a budget.

But the real difference is, these people you are wanting legislators to target with new regulations --- or greater enforcement of existing regs --- are the ones lining their pockets with CAMPAIGN FUNDS and treating them to all kinds of favors (legal and otherwise) after they are elected. I'd venture to guess that you couldn't buy a decent used car with all the money combined that members of this forum have contributed to the campaigns of these state and/or federal lawmakers.

Yes, we should not be run off of the lake that we all paid for by these mammoth vessels. But no, things aren't going to change.

41 minutes ago, Champ188 said:

Let's think about this for a minute and it should become more than obvious how this situation has come about.

IF our democracy was operating as intended way back when, we might have a chance. But, pun intended, that ship sailed long ago. The little guy has no voice anymore because of one simple factor ... MONEY. In a perfect world, moral integrity would prevail. But the world, nor this country, is anywhere near perfect. The U.S. is a Godless, depraved, morally bankrupt society where the will of the rich is rampantly imposed on everyone else. 

The boats that you want "legislated" off of Table Rock, or even just policed, are owned by the rich folks. They pay huge amounts of money to store these rigs in the biggest marina slips on the lake. They pump millions of dollars worth of fuel into them, rent or buy the most expensive properties around the lake, dine at the finest restaurants and otherwise generally throw money around like it's toilet paper.

Meanwhile, fishermen --- for the most part --- tow their rigs from home, stay at modest fish camp-style resorts or camp at Corps campgrounds, buy fuel sparingly and often dine on a budget.

But the real difference is, these people you are wanting legislators to target with new regulations --- or greater enforcement of existing regs --- are the ones lining their pockets with CAMPAIGN FUNDS and treating them to all kinds of favors (legal and otherwise) after they are elected. I'd venture to guess that you couldn't buy a decent used car with all the money combined that members of this forum have contributed to the campaigns of these state and/or federal lawmakers.

Yes, we should not be run off of the lake that we all paid for by these mammoth vessels. But no, things aren't going to change.

Yes, it disrupts family vacations to the lake, on the other side, they only have the lake for approximately 4 months of the year. I've often wondered the more pleasure boaters in the summer = less fisherman, = less fish being pulled from the water??