Featured
Quillback
Quillback

Big M area 12/18

Fished with OA member Huntest (Dave) yesterday.  We launched at dawn into a cold and foggy morning.  Fog persisted for a couple of hours, but it warmed up once it burned off.  

Fishing was a bit slower than I expected, slower than last time I was out last week, but in compensation for the lower numbers, we did catch better fish on average.  We caught somewhere between 15 and 20, with maybe half being keeper spots and one keeper meanmouth.  We only caught one smallmouth - last time out there was a good smallie bite, but they were hard to come by yesterday - a head scratcher, and only one largemouth boated.  

All ned fish from chunk rock and bluff banks.

WT was 48 if I remember correctly.

large.Davespot.jpg

large.Jeffmean.jpg

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

1 hour ago, Quillback said:

Fished with OA member Huntest (Dave) yesterday.  We launched at dawn into a cold and foggy morning.  Fog persisted for a couple of hours, but it warmed up once it burned off.  

Fishing was a bit slower than I expected, slower than last time I was out last week, but in compensation for the lower numbers, we did catch better fish on average.  We caught somewhere between 15 and 20, with maybe half being keeper spots and one keeper meanmouth.  We only caught one smallmouth - last time out there was a good smallie bite, but they were hard to come by yesterday - a head scratcher, and only one largemouth boated.  

All ned fish from chunk rock and bluff banks.

WT was 48 if I remember correctly.

large.Davespot.jpg

large.Jeffmean.jpg

Cool report.... your hybrids down are very pretty and seem like they have more Spot than Smallie.... it’s really wild how that works, either way that fish in your pic is absolutely stunning.

4 hours ago, Smalliebigs said:

Cool report.... your hybrids down are very pretty and seem like they have more Spot than Smallie.... it’s really wild how that works, either way that fish in your pic is absolutely stunning.

actually there are crosses between with both k's and lmg's.  if the meanie has red eyes, it has crossed with a k.  if they have brown eyes, then it is a lmg cross.  can't be sure from the pic, but in the pic, it appears to have brown eyes.

bo

7 hours ago, merc1997 said:

actually there are crosses between with both k's and lmg's.  if the meanie has red eyes, it has crossed with a k.  if they have brown eyes, then it is a lmg cross.  can't be sure from the pic, but in the pic, it appears to have brown eyes.

bo

Oh.... thanks Bo, I guess the only ones I have ever caught were Smallie/Spot mixed and it’s funny they will usually appear to have more of one than the other.... like this one has more Smallie than Spot but it’s a mix for sure.... these mixed bass intrigue the hell out of me

A9F24217-73FD-44D9-9273-581CE07B8AC9.jpeg

52 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Largemouth won’t cross with a spotted bass outside of a lab. Pretty Spot/Smallie Hybrid. More spot than smallie. 

well, i have caught several  brown eyed mean mouth out of table rock.  they have tended to be bigger than the red eyed spot/ brownie cross.  interesting that the lmg's and browines will not cross on their own.

bo 

In the lab not in the wild. It is plainly stated in the article you posted. Smallmouth will hybridized with all of the other smalljaw species in the wild, but not largemouth. If you call a fish a  Meanmouth you are just misinformed.