1 Piece Vs 2 Piece Baitcast Rods?

Haven't touched a baitcast rod and reel since I started fly fishing 5 years ago. Was at Dicks Sporting Goods store with my neighbor this evening and they had a Shimano 6'6" Im6 medium action baitcast on clearance for $24 (Orig $40). I made the mistake of picking it up and pretending to cast......Nice Rod! Well, I purchased it to go along with one of the Abu Garcia 5500's my Grandfather left me. My question is.......it is a 2 piece rod and they had a 6' that was one piece. Can you tell/feel the difference between the 2pc vs 1pc?? I wanted the longer rod, but if there is a huge difference between the two, I make exchange it for the one piece.

Thanks for the help!

Fish On!

Mike Utt

“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift from God, that’s why its called the Present!”

"If we ever forget that we are ONE NATION UNDER GOD, then we will be a nation gone under" - Ronald Reagan

Member: www.ozarkflyfishers.org

you will most likely lose a bit of sensitivity in the blank with it being a 2 piece, but some manufacturers are better at making multi piece rods though...that being said a 2 pc rod has its place because they are easier to travel with etc. But to get the most sensitivity out of a rod, a one piece is the way to go.

just my .02

I would go with the one piece. With the amount of torque you're throwing a baitcaster, like Al says, sooner or later that 2nd piece is going to work its way loose and you will be casting it.

Different subject and I know fly-rod casting is completely different, but still, i don't like the way a lot of FLY rod mfg'ers have gone toward 3, 4, 5 pc rods. Air travel is one thing, but whatever happened to 2-pc flyrods?

• Members

With a two piece rod you will lose sensitivity and you will have a weak point in the rod. I would go with a one piece. If you are fishing from a boat, you will not need a long rod. The longer the road, the further you can cast. However, it's not that big of a difference in casting length. I have a 7ft rod, but it's for muskie fishing (when you figure 8 at the boat with your bait). The rest of my rods are 6 and 6'6". Go for the one piece unless you have a car and cat fit the pole in it.

'

handssig.jpg

For baitcasters it's only one piece for me. I always hope for that big one, and I don't want that weak spot in my( fishing) rod. I will use 2 piece rods for spin casting only. As far as sensitivity goes, my dad gave me an older Lightning rod and it has become my first choice when I'm fishing with worms or creature baits, all of the lableing is long gone but it looks to be about 5'5" with a trigger grip. They are also reasonably priced. I would definetly go with the 1 piece.

Buzz

If fishing was easy it would be called catching.