Missouri Trout Fishing Association

Watcher

• Members

I would like to briefly address this topic. As a member, I can tell you we are always trying to improve the organization. I am sorry some folks have had a less than desireable experience. But there are good folks involved here. The Christmas party is open to ALL members, and is a great event, not a "buddies only" party. As with any organization, it is only as strong as the member participation. It is not always easy to get the volunteers needed to put on these events. Change is always good, and new officers are in place -- and we are striving to create a better image for the club. It would help if we are not trying to always quell bad publicity -- but I think there has been some shared frustration by many members. Being part of the solution instead of just complaining, would help. I realize this post thread is old, but trust me, many are working to improve our image and help make a better club. I can also say that we get a bad rap from other fishermen who are jealous of skills and success. I see it all the time -- if you spend 30 years on the water improving your skills, you are bound to have more success than the average guy who does not use good equipment (light tackle and line), no polarized sunglasses, and dough bait. I can't tell you how many times I see fishermen fishing in waters and holes where there are NO FISH, because they don't have polarized glasses, and they wonder why they don't catch anything. These are the same folks that wrongly accuse members of snagging, and have resulted in a watchdog mentality of the rangers. I welcome any ranger who has the patience (and stamina) to follow me around ALL DAY and watch me catch fish --- 99% of which I release unharmed. As for the incidents in the park campground -- I am personally tired of the nazi gestappo tactics of the rangers in ALL state and Federal parks. I NEVER stay in the State or National Park campgrounds as a result. The campground is not the best place to have night-time gatherings anyway, and we would be better served to have social events at a different location. Please do not lump all members together as bad eggs -- there are far more non-members that should be watched more carefully by the rangers, rather than following us around. Many of the complaints come from the fact that the members catch far more of the big fish, and there are fewer caught by the average fisherman. Keep in mind, that years back, as many as 40-60 lunkers used to be released for opening day, and Rose Holland Derby --- this is no longer the case, mainly due to cost. There have been discussions by club members about how we can help make these events better. Give us a little time, and don't rush to judgement.

Where did you get the idea that anyone was jealous of your fish catching awesomeness? If it's just because they look at you like you're an asshole and don't act anxious to speak it's probably because you stepped into their drift-line.

Just for the record, if you have "lunker patches" on your vest I'll immediately assume you're a douche until I learn differently..... It has nothing to do with jealousy though, just a personality trait of mine.

• Members

I have nothing against anyone --- just stating facts. I just resent being accused of snagging -- just saying, I do not look down on anyone enjoying the parks or the sport. I welcome questions and openly share my knowledge with anyone who wants to get better. I am not criticizing anyone -- member or not. I am one of the most courteous people on the stream. Although I have caught many lunkers and have many patches which I am proud of, I choose not to display them or wear them on a vest. I buy my licence and stamp and contribute my money to the MO Dept of Conservation, which I think do an excellent job. I generally do not fish around tight-liners, because I do not want to ruin their experience. But I am entitled to fish anywhere on the stream just like they do, unless there are specific postings saying not to: ie fly only or bait only. Look at how Bennet approaches that issue. I would love to see a part of the park turned into a kids only zone, similar to the run below the hatchery at Norfork arm of the White River. In fact I try to fish the whole park, which at Montauk, is an all day endeavor. Derby, opening day and the like, cram thousands of fishermen together in a limited amount of space -- Meramec is horrible to deal with, in my opinion, and I rarely fish there as a result. Fishing at those times are not always fun for the novice or myself, but is the reality of the event. It is clearly not for everybody. Life would be so ideal if you had the entire stream for yourself, wouldn't it? I am just addressing a previous post -- don't lump me in with any group. I have nothing against bait fishermen -- I fish with corn or live bait also. But if I happen to be fishing jigs next to someone who isn't, I sometimes get that look from someone each time I catch a fish, or an outright accusation that I am cheating -- I resent it. I challenge any of you to tell me you have not experienced the same thing on a crowded stream -- if you haven't, you are one of the lucky ones -- and when it finally happens to you, you will understand. I hear all the comments about "no one ever gets to catch the lunkers, because the club members catch them all" --- My motto is live and let live -- I go fishing for my fun and relaxation -- I do not need aggravation when I do. One other point -- there has been discussion about eliminating the lunker board entirely ---- why even bother to spend the money to stock big fish? Or spend the money on patches at all? There is no lure for me to spend the day elbow to elbow on opening day without the lunkers. I would just as soon wait to the following week. I didn't create the environment, I just adapt to it. Do not forget that the local economy benefits largely during these bigger events. My guess would be less money would come in if you didn't do something to attract the fishermen to these weekends.
I support the Rose Holland Derby for what it stands for -- not just the lunkers. Do not assume anything specific about me without knowing me personally --- because you know what they say about that word ------
By the way -- in no way do I represent the MTFA in this post -- I am simply a member, and am interested in the good of the club and the sport.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

It all don't matter to me......probably will never join anyhow. Headed to Montauk this weekend to try and fish among the fairy wand swingers.

Ness, dude, I gotta know what that avatar is all about, its creeping me out....no offense or anything, I'm sure your a great guy.

Just trying to keep an old thread going since nobody posts on the Montauk forum anyway.

It all don't matter to me......probably will never join anyhow. Headed to Montauk this weekend to try and fish among the fairy wand swingers.

Ness, dude, I gotta know what that avatar is all about, its creeping me out....no offense or anything, I'm sure your a great guy.

Just trying to keep an old thread going since nobody posts on the Montauk forum anyway.

Have no fear...

John