Jacks Fork Trip Report May 17-19Th

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hoping weekdays won't be too crowded although I don't mind the occasional bikini hatch. Man, I hate snakes, keep hearing "Watch Out" on the JF!! I sure hope to catch some fish, but am looking forward to the scenery more.

And just to confirm with you recent floaters, I have been advised that most if not all tricky spots can be avoided by getting out and walking canoe thru the shallow side of the runs. We will be loaded although we plan on bare necessities and you all know how that goes, and even thinking of taking our old guitars. My buddy is more worried about tipping than I am, to me it's part of the adventure.

Can most sweepers and such be avoided with due diligence? Are there any specific trouble spots that stick out in your minds?

Anyone floating week of June 3-6 and see a couple guys playing guitars, stop on by. We take requests.

How's the firewood situation at most gravel bars? We don't have a chainsaw.

Man I am so psyched!!!

There is no reason to dump. Tie about 10-15 foot of nylon rope to the bow and stern of the canoe. When you see a sweeper ahead or the water rushing around a blind curve just step out and grab the rope, walk the canoe through. Fire wood should be no problem at all as long as you don't camp on one of the popular spots like Jam up. Your much better off finding a little less scenic camp site with plenty of down wood and no poo piles.

His father touches the Claw in spite of Kevin's warnings and breaks two legs just as a thunderstorm tears the house apart. Kevin runs away with the Claw. He becomes captain of the Greasy Bastard, a small ship carrying rubber goods between England and Burma. Michael Palin, Terry Jones, 1974

I only remember one unavoidable sweeper, and that was because we picked the wrong route when the river divided. Most were easily negotiated with some basic paddling skills. I think we only walked the canoes around one or two obstacles. No portages, though that may change if the river blows out from this current storm system. The best gravel bars will be pretty picked over even with the recent floods. Depending on where you camp, you can paddle across the river and gather firewood from somewhere no one camps.

I'd say anywhere under 225cfs on the Mountain View gage and you'll be doing a bit of dragging. Under 200 and you'll be doing a lot.

Dear Joe,

Me and people like me.

Love,

E

Eric,

That's not the right answer, but sure is the funny one. LMAO.

All good advice. Yes I keep some rope tied on to front of canoe. Not to proud to walk around something to ensure keeping stuff dry on overnighters. Nothing worse than a wet sleeping bag. All sounds good and looks like river is getting a little bump today. If we can get an occasional afternoon shower in the next few weeks, I'm thinking the river will be fine. Now I'm really psyched. Next week the Eleven Point all week, and Jacks Fork the following week. Does it get any better??

Nah. We floated at only 110-120 cfs and only had to drag a couple times and not very far.

Are you sure? I'm fairly certain the MV gage was at around 240 when we put in at the Prongs, and I feel like we would have done a bunch of dragging had the river been only an inch or two lower, especially between Bay and Alley.