Anyone Have Some Local Midge Larva/pupa Photos?

Outstanding pictures. Makes me realize my midges look nothing like the real thing:)

Thank You.

I completely agree. They look nothing like the real thing...which makes me wonder if there would be any difference at all in catchability between a midge that is a little more real looking and one that is a rough abstract.

I have found that how you fish is much more important than what you are fishing with but I will say there are certain patterns that are a lot more productive than some.

So how are you fishing the one you pictured above?

• Members

I normally will use 7x flourocarbon tippet and a palsa strike indicator with the midge between 6 and 24 inches below the indicator depending on water depth and what the fish are doing. I also try to get a very long drag free drift and often use a reach cast to help with this. I believe Phil Lilley has a post on here about using the same set up.

haha, how true. I purposely designed a "Glitz" series of flies as an experiment to see if they would attract the High Maintenance Female Trout.

The Emerald Glitz:

I use something similar to that with good results. No rib and a copper bead. Coat the body with super glue to make it durable. Got a nice brown on a size 18 friday. Rusty zebra midge caught most of my fish friday.

Okiemountaineer