What's Cooking?

ness

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

Have to go get more saffron. Have enough for one more dish of Paella. Maybe 1/2 a gram.  We stored it in the safe at the restaurant I used to cook at. Usually had 24-36 grams on hand.

Not cheap.    https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/saffron-superior-spanish/c-24/p-1453/pd-s

4 hours ago, rps said:

Nope.  Most often used here as an adder with basmati rice and mushrooms cooked in chicken stock.  Doesn’t take much - simple and delicious.

Mike

0A9D4CF5-EB4E-4D2D-ABAC-2B5E693D3DEE.jpeg

Mother nature can be harsh, salvage operation,

Long winded and picture heavy.. This went back a few days. Wednesday Pat was told not to show up at work. Clinic would be closed due to weather. Really tough on man and beast lately. We went for a ride to see road conditions later in the morning. Still running sub zero we stopped by a farmer friends place and stepped into his big heated shop. First thing we seen was a calf on the floor and after talking to him found out there were three more newborns scattered in the shop behind tractors. Been tough he said. Some make it some don't. Then he said found a dead cow just a bit ago and had another that went down by a slip. Broken down in back end. I asked what do you do? Hope she gets better and watch her. Seen it before and her chances are not good. He was not in a good mood. Had six bred cows stolen. 10 grand worth. it has been going on in our area and tractors and equipment too. Said someone knows what they are doing. not happy with our local sheriff department he has a personal reward out for five grand. We felt for him. He said he had a cow in the stock trailer outside and he needed to pull the calf. Bad day to be a farmer. AS we left I said if that cow has to be put down what are you going to do with her? Response I will shoot her and pick her up with bale spike and feed the coyotes :( . Dang I said if you have to do that let me know. Well why? I said I would see what I could salvage? Never give it much thought until Friday morning when I got his call. Hey Marty were you serious about the cow? Yes I would try to do something. She iis North of the house laying on some hay. Cannot get up help yourself. I asked have you shot her yet? Nope that is up to you. Oh boy I shot off my mouth what have I got myself into? Sharpened some knives and grabbed some towels and gloves plus the pistol. Dressed warm and off I went. A rope too just in case? When I go there this is what I seen, kind of sad,

thumbnail_0218211132.jpg

Big old gal. I walked up to her. Both back legs splayed out to her sides. She looked at me and I her. Dang. Backed the truck up to her. Grabbed the pistol and got to her backside. She turned her head to look at me and then back to the front. I told her sorry and thanked her. One to the brain stem and a couple to the frond her head bowed slowly to the ground staying in the belly down position.  I wiped off her back of hay and got my tools. Straddled her and ran my knife up her back from back to front. I was surprised how thick her hide was and could only imagine the native Americans taking a bison down then dressing with stone flakes or stone blade. Know it can be done seen it with a deer last year. Then down her sides front and back. Changed knives to a green river skinner. A Dexter 3576R on one side and Herter's on the other. Gift from my grandpa 45 years ago. Keep it sharp as heck. Did not take long to get skin off both sides exposing the back straps. About then farmer shows up and says looks like you have it under control as I worked out the meat.  Wrapped each one in a towel and laid in back of truck. Then he says I see you didn't get the calf out as my heart sank deeper. He said it wasn't old enough to keep and laughed. I told him sorry I could not take any more with out help. . No problem I will get her out of here now. Glad you got to salvage some. I said I realize it is just a grass fed common cow and probably on the tougher side. He said we had actually been giving these here at the house some grain. Off I went back to the house. Just 25 out but sun and no wind it felt warm. I laid out a feed sack on back screened porch where there was some snow blown in. The straps on top of the sack. About bed time it was 15 we moved the meat into the house fridge. like to never got it stuffed in there.   

Fast forward to this morning. Time to do next part. We split a strap and went to work breaking it down. Trimming the fat and sinew under that. Some fine marbling to it but not much. Cut some steaks and roasts. Vac sealed and weighed. 36 pounds worth of protein. 

thumbnail_0220211002.jpgthumbnail_0220211003.jpgthumbnail_0220211013.jpgthumbnail_0220211013a.jpgthumbnail_0220211013b.jpgthumbnail_0220211015.jpgthumbnail_0220211153.jpg

Kept out a couple steaks to sous vide and roast to put in slow cooker. Another thin steak one to get right into. I took out a round griddle and got it hot. pat seasoned the steak with some S&P and then put a dab of butter on griddle then slapped on the meat. Quick sear on both sides then off to slice and give it the taste test. Very good taste but on the chewy side as we expected. 

This isn't no stinking feed lot grain fed steer that has not room to move. If you want that go to Costco or Sam's. I don't mind being up close and personal with what I eat. It's all part of it. The sous vide one same. Chewy but moist and tasty. Finished over charcoal and wood,

thumbnail_0220211508.jpg

The roast for tomorrow is going low and slow packed with veggies,

thumbnail_0220211149.jpg

Let you know how that goes tomorrow. The rest of the beast I will need to get creative with. None of it will go to waste. Feel free for suggestions @rps please. Have lots of thoughts in my pea brain :)

thumbnail_0218211217_HDR.jpg

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

2 hours ago, BilletHead said:

Mother nature can be harsh, salvage operation,

Long winded and picture heavy.. This went back a few days. Wednesday Pat was told not to show up at work. Clinic would be closed due to weather. Really tough on man and beast lately. We went for a ride to see road conditions later in the morning. Still running sub zero we stopped by a farmer friends place and stepped into his big heated shop. First thing we seen was a calf on the floor and after talking to him found out there were three more newborns scattered in the shop behind tractors. Been tough he said. Some make it some don't. Then he said found a dead cow just a bit ago and had another that went down by a slip. Broken down in back end. I asked what do you do? Hope she gets better and watch her. Seen it before and her chances are not good. He was not in a good mood. Had six bred cows stolen. 10 grand worth. it has been going on in our area and tractors and equipment too. Said someone knows what they are doing. not happy with our local sheriff department he has a personal reward out for five grand. We felt for him. He said he had a cow in the stock trailer outside and he needed to pull the calf. Bad day to be a farmer. AS we left I said if that cow has to be put down what are you going to do with her? Response I will shoot her and pick her up with bale spike and feed the coyotes :( . Dang I said if you have to do that let me know. Well why? I said I would see what I could salvage? Never give it much thought until Friday morning when I got his call. Hey Marty were you serious about the cow? Yes I would try to do something. She iis North of the house laying on some hay. Cannot get up help yourself. I asked have you shot her yet? Nope that is up to you. Oh boy I shot off my mouth what have I got myself into? Sharpened some knives and grabbed some towels and gloves plus the pistol. Dressed warm and off I went. A rope too just in case? When I go there this is what I seen, kind of sad,

thumbnail_0218211132.jpg

Big old gal. I walked up to her. Both back legs splayed out to her sides. She looked at me and I her. Dang. Backed the truck up to her. Grabbed the pistol and got to her backside. She turned her head to look at me and then back to the front. I told her sorry and thanked her. One to the brain stem and a couple to the frond her head bowed slowly to the ground staying in the belly down position.  I wiped off her back of hay and got my tools. Straddled her and ran my knife up her back from back to front. I was surprised how thick her hide was and could only imagine the native Americans taking a bison down then dressing with stone flakes or stone blade. Know it can be done seen it with a deer last year. Then down her sides front and back. Changed knives to a green river skinner. A Dexter 3576R on one side and Herter's on the other. Gift from my grandpa 45 years ago. Keep it sharp as heck. Did not take long to get skin off both sides exposing the back straps. About then farmer shows up and says looks like you have it under control as I worked out the meat.  Wrapped each one in a towel and laid in back of truck. Then he says I see you didn't get the calf out as my heart sank deeper. He said it wasn't old enough to keep and laughed. I told him sorry I could not take any more with out help. . No problem I will get her out of here now. Glad you got to salvage some. I said I realize it is just a grass fed common cow and probably on the tougher side. He said we had actually been giving these here at the house some grain. Off I went back to the house. Just 25 out but sun and no wind it felt warm. I laid out a feed sack on back screened porch where there was some snow blown in. The straps on top of the sack. About bed time it was 15 we moved the meat into the house fridge. like to never got it stuffed in there.   

Fast forward to this morning. Time to do next part. We split a strap and went to work breaking it down. Trimming the fat and sinew under that. Some fine marbling to it but not much. Cut some steaks and roasts. Vac sealed and weighed. 36 pounds worth of protein. 

thumbnail_0220211002.jpgthumbnail_0220211003.jpgthumbnail_0220211013.jpgthumbnail_0220211013a.jpgthumbnail_0220211013b.jpgthumbnail_0220211015.jpgthumbnail_0220211153.jpg

Kept out a couple steaks to sous vide and roast to put in slow cooker. Another thin steak one to get right into. I took out a round griddle and got it hot. pat seasoned the steak with some S&P and then put a dab of butter on griddle then slapped on the meat. Quick sear on both sides then off to slice and give it the taste test. Very good taste but on the chewy side as we expected. 

This isn't no stinking feed lot grain fed steer that has not room to move. If you want that go to Costco or Sam's. I don't mind being up close and personal with what I eat. It's all part of it. The sous vide one same. Chewy but moist and tasty. Finished over charcoal and wood,

thumbnail_0220211508.jpg

The roast for tomorrow is going low and slow packed with veggies,

thumbnail_0220211149.jpg

Let you know how that goes tomorrow. The rest of the beast I will need to get creative with. None of it will go to waste. Feel free for suggestions @rps please. Have lots of thoughts in my pea brain :)

thumbnail_0218211217_HDR.jpg

Tough challenge. Pun intended.

You face the classic trail boss/farm wife problem.

Braise/stew, ground beef, sausage, smoked/dried beef, corned beef, jerky, and quick sears are your friends. Want to roast?, then wrap in bacon.

4 minutes ago, rps said:

Tough challenge. Pun intended.

You face the classic trail boss/farm wife problem.

Braise/stew, ground beef, sausage, smoked/dried beef, corned beef, jerky, and quick sears are your friends. Want to roast?, then wrap in bacon.

Thanks,

Ran some of those through my mind already.  So many choices. 

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead