Favorite Movies

ness

Yeah, I watch some of the British shows too. A couple I've spent some time on the last couple years are Doc Martin and Foyle's War. 

Saw Dunkirk the other night  that freakin movie should come with an instruction manual. Had to Google to understand. The time shift thing run amok. 

Watching Quiet Man tonight. I get this one.  'When I drinks water I drinks water, when I drinks whiskey I drinks whiskey.'

John

1 hour ago, ness said:

Saw Dunkirk the other night  that freakin movie should come with an instruction manual. Had to Google to understand. 

Nothing I hate worse than a director trying to show how smart he is by making a movie purposely overly complicated. I guess that's what you do when the writing sucks.

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor

11 hours ago, ness said:

Watching Quiet Man tonight. I get this one.  'When I drinks water I drinks water, when I drinks whiskey I drinks whiskey.'

Michaleen Flynn is one of my favorite characters

"Easy Nooww! No Patty-fingers, if you please." "Me mouth is like a dry crust and the sun is that hot on me pate." "I- I think you have more sense than I have me-self." That was some real horse sense;)!

Sir - Sir - Here's a good stick, to beat the lovely lady.

I watched "A long voyage home" with John Wayne, Barry Fitzgerald, Ward Bond, Mildred Natwick (The Widow Tillane), and Arthur Shields (Reverand Playfair). Not a great or memorable movie, but a lot of Quiet Man actors.

Yeah, best review Mary and I saw on Dunkirk (after watching it) said something to the effect that "somewhere in this incredible mess is the makings of a good movie".  I caught the whole time thing...they did put up a blurb that said that the "mole", the guy who tried throughout the whole movie to get the heck off the beach by hook or crook, had his story start a day earlier, while the other characters' stories started an hour earlier.  But the jumping back and forth from the day before to the day of the evacuation with no other explanation but those blurbs, that stayed on the screen about two seconds each, was ridiculously confusing.  And...if you didn't already know the real story of Dunkirk, you'd have had a really hard time figuring out what was going on overall.  The only history they really showed was a blurb at the beginning and a quick look at a flyer that showed the Nazis moving into the town from all sides.

Plus...was it really true that there were about two Luftwaffe planes bombing and strafing the beach once in a while, and two intrepid British pilots in total defending it, one of which must have shot down 500 Nazi planes on the way there?  Dang, that guy was good.  Even saved the day with his engine dead.

I think the mole was the pier thIng. I had no idea at the time what they meant by that --read it afterward. The first head scratcher for me was when the guys all get shot up but one makes it through. Then he jogs a couple blocks and there's a couple hundred thousand soldiers on the beach waiting to be evacuated. 

The whole spitfire thing bugged me too. I thought the flight scenes were realistic, but the unlimited ammo followed by about 15 minutes of gliding on empty, while the sun set, was just toooo much. And, you're right about the history. That miraculous rescue gets lost in all the artsy bs. 

John

I haven't seen it but my oldest daughter (24) was telling me how good it was. So maybe it was something for the youngsters because it's been getting really good reviews. I asked her about the time thing and she said it was cool. 

But I don't usually like movies that get great reviews. 

If I would had gotten the way it was put together I might have been able to stick with it. But I was just irritated after a while. 

Sometimes you've got to watch a movie two times to appreciate it. This might be one of  those. 

Either of you would be at an advantage because you'd know what's going on. I wasn't smart enough to get it. 

John

When Nancy and I lived in London, we walked for recreation. Over about two years we walked the Thames from one end to the other. I remember the day we were walking along the river downstream from Hampton Court. We came upon a yacht with a plaque that commemorated the fact that it had twice made the trip across the channel to Dunkirk and had retrieved some number of men. The boat was less than 25 feet. 30 miles at sea each direction? Twice? Incredible!

Yeah, the 'little boats of Dunkirk' were really something. I read the smallest was 14 feet. They took pleasure boats, fishing boats, life boats, whatever they could get. In all, ~800 boats evacuated 300,000+ British, French and Belgian soldiers in 4 days. 

Spielberg would have left us with a sense of what a feat that was. 

John