What's Brewing?

ness

Pale Ale in the fermenter last night. 

Should be a good drink.  ABV should come in low 5's, and IBU around 44. 

Late edition El Dorado Hops should give it a tropical fruit characteristic, and low bitters. 

I'll dry hop with US Delta the last 3 days to give it a little hop punch. 

Should be a good beer for people that don't like a hoppy beer.

@lozcrappie

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Starting another hard cider this morning. Making a few changes because I want a fruitier, crisper, less sweet one this time. So, no added sugar which means lower alcohol and hopefully more apple flavor. And since this Louisburg Cider Mill Cider isn’t very tart, I added in some acid and tannin. I’ve got a cold closet in going to ferment this in too. 

0E3A1FAD-BEA2-4653-B9CF-23DFECFF5929.jpeg

Just pure Cider—1.048 specific gravity should yield around 6% alcohol, depending on where it stops. 

DEBD0FFC-58D8-4477-AC63-B0D45447ED69.jpeg

About 5-½ gallons coming in a couple months.

E007ABC7-C94F-4875-A463-5D833A250780.jpeg

John

9 minutes ago, ness said:

Starting another hard cider this morning. Making a few changes because I want a fruitier, crisper, less sweet one this time. So, no added sugar which means lower alcohol and hopefully more apple flavor. And since this Louisburg Cider Mill Cider isn’t very tart, I added in some acid and tannin. I’ve got a cold closet in going to ferment this in too. 

0E3A1FAD-BEA2-4653-B9CF-23DFECFF5929.jpeg

Just pure Cider—1.048 specific gravity should yield around 6% alcohol, depending on where it stops. 

DEBD0FFC-58D8-4477-AC63-B0D45447ED69.jpeg

About 5-½ gallons coming in a couple months.

E007ABC7-C94F-4875-A463-5D833A250780.jpeg

Bet that would go good with fruitcake :)

BilletHead

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

I tell you, I’m like a kid in a liquor store. Every day I get home from work and can’t wait to see my cider bubbling away in the closet. 😄

John

1 hour ago, ness said:

I tell you, I’m like a kid in a liquor store. Every day I get home from work and can’t wait to see my cider bubbling away in the closet. 😄

I am just so glad you are hiding cider in your closet :) .  Relieved you are not coming out and telling us you have a skeleton in there :) .

BilletHead

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

• 2 weeks later...

brewed a thanksgiving ale yesterday.  got a little crazy and added around a quart of nice clear turkey stock to the boil.  don't know if it will actually add any flavor to the brew, but whatever.

@lozcrappie

On 11/24/2017 at 8:41 AM, WHARFRAT said:

brewed a thanksgiving ale yesterday.  got a little crazy and added around a quart of nice clear turkey stock to the boil.  don't know if it will actually add any flavor to the brew, but whatever.

Waaa? That’s a crazy twist I’ve never heard of. You’re serious, right?

John

I never heard of it before either, that's why I did it.  Since it was so early in the boil, I really doubt it will impact anything.  But, since it was turkey day, why not.    I know that I did hit my gravity numbers spot on!  Should be drinking right around Christmas.  I'll let you know.

I'm now drinking what is suppose to be a "blonde ale", though for some reason its almost the color of an amber ale.  Wasn't good two to three weeks after conditioning, but turned out pretty good after 6-7 weeks of conditioning.  Kind of has the characteristics of a lighter stout, that is slightly fruity.

@lozcrappie