Stl County Park Lakes been any good recently?

Haris122

On 6/24/2016 at 7:55 PM, Lewis Farmer said:

but there are no public places with any quality to go.

Busch wildlife is decent on a great day, and it isn't even in the county I don't think, but usually sub par fishing, along with every designated fishing area in Saint Louis county. I think it is ridiculous that the city does so little to make fishing a possibility for the public.

They have all these public places: tilles, Jefferson, Suson, creve couer, and they advertise these places as fishing holes, but in reality they are cess pools, and even though many contain fish, there are very few and each fish has seen every lure known to man. 

Have to disagree with you on this one. Some of my best fishing days, on any lake, have been at Jefferson Lake in Forest Park. Yes these lakes/ponds are hard, but you have to put in some time to figure the fish out. They are different, but they are still bass, they're still gonna eat. Caught decent fish at FoPo, Creve Couer, Suson, Queeny, Spots on the Meramec in STL , Unger, Carondelet, to name a few. 

Just look at the forums for other lakes and rivers on here. Plenty of people are getting skunked or catching shorts on these "less pressured" waters. These ponds are no different. I've been to FoPo and caught decent sized bass every other cast. I've also been there and gotten skunked. But after fishing there regularly, I found spots that were more productive, under water structures, and techniques that work better than others. If you put in the time I GURANTEE you can figure out ways to catch decent bass there consistently.

Just be patient, try to learn as much as you can while you are there. Slow down, fish bigger or smaller, try to find depth changes with carolina rigs and such and you can locate some good spots that hold fish. I'd recommend going to just one of the lakes you listed every time out instead of hopping around. Take some time to learn that lake and its intricacies, don't try to solve all the lakes at once. Each one will fish differently. 

And there's no point in hoping for some big lake or giant stcking program for the STL city/county. One, property values are way to high for someone to decide to take up 10 acres or so with a new public lake. Two, city's have a hard time squeezing in things like education, police, and roads into budgets... fish stocking programs don't have a chance on that front. 

Depending on where you live in STL there are some great river access points and creeks to fish. You are right about the neighborhood ponds and lakes. I put a lot of time walking in South County and there are good places if you search hard enough. Don't get discouraged, one day you'll have a boat and the resources to fish anywhere but not the time. Enjoy the searching, it makes the reward of catching nice fish that much better.

If you put in the time I GURANTEE you can figure out ways to catch decent bass there consistently.

Unger is the one spot I might actually challenge that notion. On the Meramec by it I believe it, but actual Unger lake there has been a desert for me for years. However, I would love to have someone prove me wrong and catch even 12" fish there consistently, cause just knowing there's something in there, would reinvigorate me to keep at it. I hoped the floods would've stocked the lake back up some, but I've been there a number of times since, this year, with nothing but the usual results. It's rare that I get anything there anymore, even carp, gar, drum, or sunfish out of it. Anyone recently actually have any different experiences from there?

I'll call it the Unger Lake challenge. Whoever consistently catches anything 12" or decent sunfish size, I'll give you a dollar (I know, hell of an incentive). But I have to witness it on 3 separate occasions not more than 3-4 trips between catches, lol.

Is Unger a "questionable" place to be?  My Son mentioned kayak fishing there but I have heard some stories...

By "questionable", do you mean unsafe? If so, I would say it's no problem. I've been there plenty of times without issues from or with anyone. Kayaked there 3-4 times as well. It usually has that quiet, overlooked vibe. There's been plenty of times when I was either the only person there, or the only person fishing, alongside a few people hiking, or biking somewhere else within the park. And personally I like that about it. You can be pretty close to some industrial parks, and still feel like you have a lot of area to yourself. If only fishing was good, it would be a little hidden gem I'd say personally.

I'm curious what stories have you heard of it?

On 6/24/2016 at 8:55 PM, Lewis Farmer said:

I live in Saint Louis and I absolutely hate it. I fish almost every day, I am 17 years old, but there are no public places with any quality to go. I fish strictly on neighborhood ponds, which are typically private. I have gotten in trouble with the police before, and that is a position no person should have to go through in seek of good fishing. When I was caught, I explained to the officer that public fishing in Saint Louis is horrible and his response was to try Busch wildlife. Busch wildlife is decent on a great day, and it isn't even in the county I don't think, but usually sub par fishing, along with every designated fishing area in Saint Louis county. I think it is ridiculous that the city does so little to make fishing a possibility for the public. They have all these public places: tilles, Jefferson, Suson, creve couer, and they advertise these places as fishing holes, but in reality they are cess pools, and even though many contain fish, there are very few and each fish has seen every lure known to man. One of my friends was fishing at des Peres pond and he caught a 5 pounder there, but he was using a live crawfish. While there, he told me that the only other kid catching not fish was using goldfish. There is no opportunity for developing anglers, anyone with experience. I hate to abandoned the old fishing techniques, but anyone who is competitive and uses bait casters does not touch live bait. I would love to see the city do something about what to me is a significant issue for the city of Saint Louis.

I have nothing to offer. I hate it that you have to struggle to find a decent spot and that people are so uptight that they can't let you fish the neighborhood ponds. You would think they would appreciate a young guy just trying to enjoy the outdoors. 

All I can say it to keep on keeping on. Fish where you can, catch what you can and enjoy all of it. 

And post a report when you can. You might not think anyone is interested but that's not true. 

Good luck. 

I feel your pain brother.  I've lived here for 55 years.  Been kicked out of about every piece of water in the metro area.  I'll give away the best honey hole I found.  The lake beside Verizon on Hwy 40 near the Boone Bridge.  I snuck in there before daylight a few years ago and caught nice fish on 4 consecutive casts with a spinner bait.  Then the fat rent a cop rolled up on me in golf car and explained it was private.  I did the same ole kickin the dirt thing I do every time I get caught.  He apologized and followed me to my truck.