Diversification of Taneycomo Trout

MoCarp

3 minutes ago, Johnsfolly said:

There have been a few gold fish that have been still wiggling as they were swallowed with a fair amount of beer :rolleyes:, but that was many moons ago. Never swallowed any streamside :)!

If you can do a nice slimy, stinky shad you will have my upmost respect ! Until then just being a friend will have to do,

BilletHead

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

1 minute ago, BilletHead said:

If you can do a nice slimy, stinky shad you will have my upmost respect !

If you are able to put in an area to catch these guys, I may consider it. Got to catch one first:)! Maybe catch a gar, but that one will not go down easy.

6 hours ago, ozark trout fisher said:

You try to translate that to Taneycomo or the White River, or even one of the freestone/spring-fed streams around here, and the effect is pretty much lost.

I understand that flames blasting off to heavy metal and Jet boat tours does have a negative persona compared to this^^^^^^^^

44 minutes ago, Gavin said:

There is a little bit of cutthroat, some steelhead, and lord knows what else in the Missouri hatchery rainbow trout. They are a man made fish designed to facilitate hatchery production.

Thats the point, if its not broke don't fix it? you have to push the envelope to make things better....would it be more fun to catch bigger fish? instead of 50 fish with a handful of nice fish?  would it not be more fun to catch 25 fish all 18" or better? but self funding a project is worthy to say cutts, and tigers wouldn't grow to large sizes is IMHO is like saying rainbows and browns won't get big, since Taney produces world class fish...it would be a stretch to predict cutt, or tiger growth rates, other than what rainbows and browns do now, last time I looked Growth rates are good..would you rather catch fish dinners? or bigger trout? I would like to see a tag system on Browns on fish a year nothing under say 24" but only one can be tagged out per year,  fish can be grown HUGE before stocking..just takes money....there are countless trout hatcheries around, outsourcing is a time honored way to light a fire under stagnated government handling of projects, I'd bet a pretty penny that the federal dollars spent on taney trout production could get you the same fish 3 times the sizes put in now....

prob suck when Taney would put out World record cuts,  .....I understand that fishing at the las vegas of trout fishing loses some of the magic, more people will come spend $ to fish in taney to catch and release huge trout...the fish sandwich crowd not so much..but a brace of 18" bows should make them happier than 4 ten inchers,

If I was tasked with enhancing trophy trout opportunities I would outsource it to a private hatchery in state, fish would get raised to a large size and stocked in lower numbers.... 

granted this is a different situation, but there are places you see trout stocked at 10# ....

MONKEYS? what monkeys?

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

There is a little bit of cutthroat, some steelhead, and lord knows what else in the Missouri hatchery rainbow trout. They are a man made fish designed to facilitate hatchery production.

Ditch pigs!!!  I love them in the tail waters.