Ultrex review?

Dan the fisherman

21 hours ago, The Bassman said:

I have an 80lb Ultrex on my RT188.  It's not an i-pilot, but I have loved it.  I haven't had any problems.  The spot lock on mine is dead on accurate.  I would say it keeps me within 5 feet of my intended spot.  This is based on spot locking around buoys and other fixed objects.  The jog feature on the remote is great as well. The only issue I have is the electric assist that turns the motor is a bit loud.  When i'm sitting on top of a brush pile in a 20 mph wind that thing can be a bit annoying.   You are welcome to hop on and try mine out, they are a bit pricey without a test drive.  Send me a PM and we can set it up.

You sir are going to cost me money talking like that.  I also have an RT188. And thst is precisely what i want.  Accuracy in a 20mph wind. 

What shaft length did you get?

Need marine repair? Send our own forum friend "fishinwrench" a message. 

He will treat you like family!!! I owe fishinwrench a lot of thanks. He has been a great mechanic with lots of patience!

21 hours ago, grizwilson said:

J-Doc, from what I understand, they have upgraded the Terrova that you and I have with an external GPS that is much better.  Spoke with a fellow forum member who had upgraded from one like ours to the new one said he could stay on top of 1 stump rather that  the "area" we have. 

There is no way to fix or upgrade the older Terrova or add an additional external GPS puck or anything right?  You just have to buy a while new trolling motor right?

He will treat you like family!!! I owe fishinwrench a lot of thanks. He has been a great mechanic with lots of patience!

• Members
48 minutes ago, J-Doc said:

You sir are going to cost me money talking like that.  I also have an RT188. And thst is precisely what i want.  Accuracy in a 20mph wind. 

What shaft length did you get?

I got the 45". Now I fish mostly at BV so I'm not battling the big wakes/waves that you might face. You are also welcome to hop on and take a test run. You actually helped me a ton answering questions for me when I bought my boat. I would be happy to return the favor by f that's something you would be interested in. It's been a game changer for me. 

• Members

I have a first generation I pilot terrova(pre 2017)   Both spot lock and I pilot course tracking are not as good as advertised but still do a decent job.   several calls to Minnkota service looking for anything to improve gps accuracy.    They had me disassemble the control head on the motor and twist the main power wires .  I did that.  It may have improved the spot lock accuracy some.  Hard to tell.  It is unfortunate Minnkota does not have a 2nd generation upgrade kit with the Bluetooth connectivity for the pre 2017 terrova

So far the terrova ipilots has had zero mechanical or electronic issues.  The hand control works great,. No problems with foot control either.

23 hours ago, The Bassman said:

I got the 45". Now I fish mostly at BV so I'm not battling the big wakes/waves that you might face. You are also welcome to hop on and take a test run. You actually helped me a ton answering questions for me when I bought my boat. I would be happy to return the favor by f that's something you would be interested in. It's been a game changer for me. 

I appreciate that.  Hope the 188 has met your expectations and surprised you to perform better than you thought it would. Mine has. 

I want a way to add a GPS puck to my Terrova.  Then it would do anything I wanted out of it.