Size vs Quantity?

Trout Addict

21 minutes ago, MoCarp said:

I truly find it hard to believe people would stop coming to Taney because they can "only" keep 4 trout vs 5..

Obviously you truly don't understand the majority of people fishing on Taneycomo.

24 minutes ago, MoCarp said:

imagine if fish avg 20"....back in the day you could limit out on fish that size...perhaps thats why I am jaded.....I look at this from a different perspective....

"Back in the day"? Before Branson saw 8 million visitors per year (2014 statistics). When Taneycomo was a much less used fishery.

3 hours ago, MoCarp said:

.want fish dinners...hit up a trout park

Another obvious misunderstanding you have about Taneycomo. From Fall Creek to Powersite dam, because of the very large increase in people fishing, Taneycomo has become a 23 mile long trout park! A put and take fishery, and the majority of people fishing there are happy with it. 

Real men go propless!

2 hours ago, Gatorjet said:

Obviously you truly don't understand the majority of people fishing on Taneycomo

a poll taken of people on the lake through out the year asked pointed question would give us that...prob already been done before.....one question would be what else are you doing here besides fishing......

"Back in the day"? Before Branson saw 8 million visitors per year (2014 statistics). When Taneycomo was a much less used fishery.

YES! that means extreme harvest.....you can get back to those results by limiting harvest allowing the fish to grow a tad bigger.....

Another obvious misunderstanding you have about Taneycomo. From Fall Creek to Powersite dam, because of the very large increase in people fishing, Taneycomo has become a 23 mile long trout park! A put and take fishery, and the majority of people fishing there are happy with it. 

That is true you still don't see as many boats down stream as in other lakes and thats good...as long as we don't see jet boat tours blasting about blaring AC-DC:P

MONKEYS? what monkeys?

3 hours ago, Quillback said:

agree both places rock for fishing...but could we do better? and how do we get there?

I don't know that we could do better, and at the same time please everyone.  I'm happy with the way it is now, but I only fish below Bull a time or two a year. 

That is the rub..most people would love having bigger fish...how do we have our cake and eat it too?

MONKEYS? what monkeys?

• Root Admin
5 hours ago, ruthead said:

Not being argumentative but trying to learn here. How do we know this fish "grew up above Fall Creek and moved down" ?  

That fish has probably spent 3 years in the lake.  For 300 days a year, there are boats packed up from the line at Fall Creek down for a 1/2 mile using mostly bait - night crawlers, powerbait.  If there are resident trout there that live more than a year (and I'm being very conservative)... well it just can't happen.  Way too much pressure and 99% of the anglers who fish there keep any trout that size.  This guy did and I think they were throwing jigs.  But that's what it's designed to be... take 'em out below Fall Creek.

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg

3 hours ago, MoCarp said:

That is the rub..most people would love having bigger fish...how do we have our cake and eat it too?

There are bigger fish to be caught.  Fish a jerk bait on the White and you will  have a shot at catching some very nice browns - assuming a certain level of competence on the fisherman's part and a boat is a big help.  IMO it should be a special deal to catch a nice fish, not something that happens on a routine basis because bigger fish are stocked. 

Right now, if you go fish the White below Bull during the week, you might see a handful of boats during the course of the day. 40 miles (or more) of river teeming with trout with hardly any pressure.  Not only that, but plenty of bird life and critters to observe during the day.  Leaves are down, some great views of the countryside to be seen.  It's a pretty good fishing experience, but you need to get out there and do it - not to be mean, but people sitting at home at their keyboard that aren't out fishing and enjoying what we have, but yet are critical of it - I don't hear these complaints from the folks that are out there fishing. 

I found it to be a privilege to fish the White this past weekend and I appreciate the folks who took me out there in their boats and gave me the opportunity to fish the river.  I have zero complaints, well I could complain about the wind and the water fluctuation, but those are things a person just has to overcome.  Having a challenge makes it better, right?

31 minutes ago, Quillback said:

There are bigger fish to be caught.  Fish a jerk bait on the White and you will  have a shot at catching some very nice browns - assuming a certain level of competence on the fisherman's part and a boat is a big help.  IMO it should be a special deal to catch a nice fish, not something that happens on a routine basis because bigger fish are stocked. 

Right now, if you go fish the White below Bull during the week, you might see a handful of boats during the course of the day. 40 miles (or more) of river teeming with trout with hardly any pressure.  Not only that, but plenty of bird life and critters to observe during the day.  Leaves are down, some great views of the countryside to be seen.  It's a pretty good fishing experience, but you need to get out there and do it - not to be mean, but people sitting at home at their keyboard that aren't out fishing and enjoying what we have, but yet are critical of it - I don't hear these complaints from the folks that are out there fishing. 

I found it to be a privilege to fish the White this past weekend and I appreciate the folks who took me out there in their boats and gave me the opportunity to fish the river.  I have zero complaints, well I could complain about the wind and the water fluctuation, but those are things a person just has to overcome.  Having a challenge makes it better, right?

I don't like the wind or water fluctuation either, but you make some very good points. Thank you. 

6 hours ago, Phil Lilley said:

That fish has probably spent 3 years in the lake. 

Would you guess (or is it known) that about three-four years is the average use of a trout in the trophy area? Take a whack at delayed mortality of C&R fish there?

I know I've seen some terrible handling and  release on other waters. Some long long photo ops.

On 12/11/2017 at 9:40 AM, Phil Lilley said:

I think I'll ask them and get back to you.  Be interesting.

Yes, please do. 

I was wondering if the mind set is changing? A few years back I got into a discussion with a younger local angler and he said "Branson is dieing." I questioned him about that. And his response seemed logical. "Branson has catered to the elderly for so long and now they're all dieing off. My generation is simply not interested in country music." Things did seem more depressed, imo. But the overall economy wasn't as good either.

Anyways since then, it appears that some shows have been suffering, but also it seems to me there's been a shift towards an adventure and shopping themes and the Branson's economy has improved. 

So I'm just wondering if you are seeing younger angler's and if the mind set is changing some, if so?

23 minutes ago, Trout Addict said:

Yes, please do. 

I was wondering if the mind set is changing? A few years back I got into a discussion with a younger local angler and he said "Branson is dieing." I questioned him about that. And his response seemed logical. "Branson has catered to the elderly for so long and now they're all dieing off. My generation is simply not interested in country music." Things did seem more depressed, imo. But the overall economy wasn't as good either.

Anyways since then, it appears that some shows have been suffering, but also it seems to me there's been a shift towards an adventure and shopping themes and the Branson's economy has improved. 

So I'm just wondering if you are seeing younger angler's and if the mind set is changing some, if so?

Yes, I see younger anglers on the lake. Young singles, or fishermen on a guys weekend. Young families with kids. Also entire families. Grandparents, parents, and kids all enjoying a day of fishing from a pontoon. Not even close to the demographic that would choose C&R fishing only, or a reduced daily limit.

As for Branson, there is a plethora of varied entertainment if you look for it. Those "elderly" that Branson caters to are also being created every year. Some in Branson obviously don't understand that people are not born old, but grow older each day. Most of those elderly today, including my wife and me were young, or at least younger when we began coming to Branson. My son, and daughter with their families are now young people visiting Branson. They, as many other families will one day be the "elderly".

Real men go propless!