Trout at Lake 28 today

46 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

If you've ever been to Busch in the summer you might change your mind.  The place gets absolutely pounded in the "regular" season.  When they stock catfish the banks are (were) lined with people.  I haven't been over there in the summer in years because of all the peeps.  I agree hauling trout around is a waste of money.  Just dump the things in the stream near the hatchery and be done with it. 

Some of the lakes at Busch are actually very nice, clean, rocky lakes.  I think they would be better served to take convert a couple ponds to hatchery operations to grow cats and bass to release there.  But hey....That's just me.

I don't know anything about warm water hatcheries but the idea of converting or establishing one at Bushes sounds like a great idea.  They could also supply some of the urban area ponds.

Bill

A little hatchery pond or ponds would be a cool attraction up at Busch, no doubt. How they'd find a solution to people sneaking into there to fish those ponds, seems like the challenging part, cause they don't seem to have a lot of people working there to monitor it. Guess if they made the first lake or lakes by the entrance, also fish stocking ponds, as opposed to just a waterfowl refuge, that could work, as they're already off limits.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Before Christmas, me and a buddy hit 28.  I caught 35 in 4 hours using trout magnets, and then power worms off the bottom.  My buddy did really well, even though he had equipment and user issues:)  Returned in early February, and there were lots of folks out as the ice was breaking up/melting on the lake.  Managed to catch 4 decent ones in about the same time as December.  

1 hour ago, Dale H said:

Before Christmas, me and a buddy hit 28.  I caught 35 in 4 hours using trout magnets, and then power worms off the bottom.  My buddy did really well, even though he had equipment and user issues:)  Returned in early February, and there were lots of folks out as the ice was breaking up/melting on the lake.  Managed to catch 4 decent ones in about the same time as December.  

I thought power worms were scented. Regs call for unscented before christmas.

On 12/31/2018 at 7:29 PM, mhall02 said:

Tried 21 Monday the 24 and didn't get a strike.  Think those 'catch and release' lakes with flies only is an option to some from what I saw.  One guy was standing there with a bait bucket, rod in hand, line out and no reeling.  The other was using an orange plastic worm....There was a nice big dead one on the shore along the dam, looked to be 4 or 5 lbs.    

It becomes catch and keep, being able to use bait and soft plastics, after February 1st every year. They weren't cheating.

“To those devoid of imagination a blank place on the map is a useless waste; to others, the most valuable part.”--Aldo Leopold

2 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

He says before Christmas. 

Ah yea didn't pick up on that. Thought you meant Feb. 24th @mhall02. I used to see that all the time when I lived in St. Louis. One time at 28 a guy was fishing with minnows right on the ramp. Like everyone is saying, it's rampant. All you can do is educate and hope they realize what they're doing. 

“To those devoid of imagination a blank place on the map is a useless waste; to others, the most valuable part.”--Aldo Leopold

Looking at the regulations it appears that trout in lakes 3, 22, and 23 can be harvested at any time. Whereas lakes 21 and 28 are catch and release until Feb 1st. Could be confusing.