Opening Day '19

Hwilli97

First off, prepare for the masses! Those guys and gals will be sitting or standing at their favorite hole wwwwaaayyy before the sun even comes up. I would start with a white rooster tail first thing on a spinning rod and then switch over later in the morning. Olive woolly bugger of some kind will produce down there all day long.

"you can always beat the keeper, but you can never beat the post"

There are only three things in life that are certain : death, taxes, and the wind blowing at Capps Creek!

Jerk baits work so I would recommend taking one....standing at the head of a pool, cast down stream 15 seconds after horn. Work it fast and aggressive, you want the biggest trout in the pool to see it.  

The circus is only fun for the ring leader or people in the stands. The above method will ensure your the ring leader. 

40 minutes ago, Devan S. said:

Jerk baits work so I would recommend taking one....standing at the head of a pool, cast down stream 15 seconds after horn. Work it fast and aggressive, you want the biggest trout in the pool to see it.  

The circus is only fun for the ring leader or people in the stands. The above method will ensure your the ring leader. 

Best done with a mh casting rod.

9 minutes ago, tjm said:

Best done with a mh casting rod.

I go down every year and watch the horn go off....feel like I'm apart of the circus for 10 or so minutes and then go get breakfast and off to work. I live and work close enough that its cheap entertainment.

To my story....Last year in the pool directly below the first real bridge(not the low water pull across by the hatchery but the bridge below the hatchery). There was a gentleman with what had to be a 10' heavy CATMAXX style rod and reel trying to fly fish with it. I'm not sure if he was joking around or being serious but there's enough clueless people wandering around that someone could get hurt with something like that being flung around.

I gave him a wide pass and went on down the river on my stroll. See things every year that I just shake my head carry on.