Big River around Jefferson County

jak1717

3 hours ago, Cwallis said:

Not to beat a dead horse but I am curious Al.... how much of a wake do you really send in shallow narrow water?  If memory serves me right it seems like I’ve always noticed a lot bigger wakes where the river widens and deepens a bit. You know where they have a chance to build. If that’s true I would think a person is causing more damage in the bigger parts of a river. Enlighten me please for I’m misinformed. 

This is just my opinion, but even if you CAN run sections like between Cherokee Landing and Blackwell, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing.  There is a reason why there are rules against running fast near docks and on certain reservoirs within a certain distance of the banks, because of wake damage.  However, there probably isn't much difference in wake damage between 10 feet off the boat and 50 feet off it.  I just have a deep-seated aversion to putting big high speed boats on rivers like Big River in that section.  I think some floatable streams should be left to those wanting to avoid the noise and commotion.  However, I know I'm in the minority of jetboat users (I own one and use it).  Most people probably don't see a problem with it.  But I made myself a vow when I bought mine, after cussing the things for years, that I wouldn't push the envelope with it and become the guy I always hated, and so far I've stuck with that vow.  The smallest river I put mine on is the Meramec around Steelville, which has a normal summer flow of something like 200 cfs, compared to Big River around Blackwell which normally flows about 70 cfs in the summer.

• Members

Most docks and reservoirs are not situated in a few inches of water. I don’t understand how there’s more wake damage in shallow narrow water?  Big high speed boats. The 16 footer I ran might have done 30 down river wide open. Floatable streams?  Is there a public access to put into floating between Cherokee landing or Washington state park?  I reckon a person could put in and float to the park from Cherokee but that’s a long haul. I’m just trying to understand the jabs I took. We are not in shortage of floatable streams without engine noise. Bootleg all the way to Cherokee landing, mineral fork, fourche, mill creek to name a few. The stretch I lived on hardly ever had any visitors and I was on it once a week minimum and don’t recall disrupting really anyone. Wakes need depth and width to build. Just bc it’s your opinion don’t make it correct nor does mine. I just choose not to openly criticize someone for doing something that’s entirely legal especially if I don’t have a legit reason for why it’s wrong. 

On 2/26/2019 at 10:39 AM, Cwallis said:

If you’re talking about the bridge by tiff/Blackwell around the Dickinson farms. We just duck and go under it. I used to live on the river right above there. Believe it or not it gets quite a bit of jet boat use. No different then the guys running the upper meremac or any other smaller river. Understand the concern but I have sold my jet regretfully and was looking at buying a new one but figured I’d try kayaking for a bit. 

Sorry I guess I should’ve termed it differently.... I don’t blame you for running your jet where it allows you. My words suck. I won’t run above certain areas due to my own fears. I shouldn’t voice my opinion on where people run their jets..... as you said if it’s legal.... run it..... no biggie 

• Members

All good friend. There’s 2 low water bridges in that area. One is the old number 10 bridge to the dyke which is washed out and actually where I used to live. The other is the Dickinson bridge which is fairly bigger and we used to put in at the gravel bar bc of permission from the owners. I certainly wouldn’t advise ppl to run that area bc it is dangerous but definitely doable. It’s amaz what a jet can do.