Headed down for some catfishing

OzarkFishman

10 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

Blaming genetics on every action (or stupid decision) is opening up a whole new train of thought for me.  I need more time to ponder this. 😅

Pap always said the nut don't fall far from the tree.

Every stupid thing any of my kids ever did is 100% the fault of their mother.

First night in the books. 

It’s been a great night. Bait came easy and the wind picked up as I showed up around 5:30. The fire in the median on I-44 slowed my arrival, but it’s all good. As I started gathering bait, I decided to leave the jon boat in my truck (wind was white capping and tomorrow doesn’t look much better). I set 3 lines from the dock and gathered more bait. Then threw out two poles with green sunfish on the hook (I mainly fish live bait)  

I had the bait basket pretty full when a copperhead made its way into the basket.  When I pulled it up from the walkway on the dock, I saw the snake with its fangs in a bluegill. The snake stayed fang deep until I pulled out my phone, then it got camera shy and slid out a hole in the bait basket. I moved the basket to deeper water and continued catching bait.

All the bluegill looked shaken, but as I kept catching bait ... those fish started perishing (venom isn’t good for a fish). I threw out the venom filled fish and thought about how lucky I was to “catch” a copper head. I could have touched it ... BUT I’m not stupid .. lol. 

I have one eater blue on a stringer and I’m looking forward to a great Saturday. 

Just keeping you filled in. We all know wrench is the reason his daughters fall down stairs and get bloody noses.  

13 hours ago, OzarkFishman said:

We all know wrench is the reason his daughters fall down stairs and get bloody noses.

Just like we know your snake identification skills are similar to your city girl cousin's.  😂

"fangs in a bluegill underwater" 🙄   

😊 

Get them catfish!  

Ok, I will give you my snake identification skills suck. Here is a question, would a normal water snake kill all 4 fish in the basket. The fish went from perfectly healthy to looking like they were dying to dead in about 5-10 minutes. I’m always up for learning. I live in the Ozark’s and see copperhead all the time in some of the smaller river/creeks I frequent (guess my ID skills only work in SWMO).

The fishing Saturday was good. Would have been better if I got my lazy butt off the dock, but I didn’t. 

Best fish was 20 pounds and 36 inches (it wrapped itself up pretty good). I released it since it is bigger than cooking size (I only keep fish under the slot). 

Most fun I had was catching small channel cat and some decent drum while bait fishing. It was windy and beautiful all day (sprinkled some and rained some, but under the dock cover in a rocking chair is mighty comfortable in the rain).

A bass inhaled one of the bait fish. Only 1.5 pounds, but still fun. I was able to release it with its prize still in its mouth.

E639AA27-AC90-4F2B-A682-665BDA539635.jpeg

77EAC67D-599C-4A54-B967-0E1EA994E0DF.jpeg

His wife said they said his head hit the windshield. But it was very lowI think he was catapulted over the bow about 6+ feet and we3nt head first into the rocks of the bluff. There were two long bloody smears way up on the smears on the fore deck way up at the end. I am sure he was ell over the speed limit for night. I do not belittle the man for what happened. It is very easy to doI have seen it about 4 times. Beside there was another one plowed into a bluff up in the Niagua same night