Never seen one of these in Lake Springfield

• Members

Musky . Probably released by some Fellows lake anglers. I have seen 2 caught in the lake and one below the dam. A couple of years ago several Talapia were caught . When the lake froze and thawed there were several dead Talapia around the old outlet. I have seen some strange looking fish over the years. Only one gar. People release them when they outgrow aquariums or they move.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Just saw this post.

That is definitely a grass pickerel. 10-15 years ago used to target them from kayak in late winter/early spring upriver from the iron bridge.

Too many kayaks in the way nowadays. 

Usually caught them on 1/16 jig with Slider crappie grubs or small thin crankbaits. Caught a few on small top water buzz baits.

They typically ambush from weeds, not unlike small northern pike up North.

18 hours ago, Lost Minnesotan said:

Just saw this post.

That is definitely a grass pickerel. 10-15 years ago used to target them from kayak in late winter/early spring upriver from the iron bridge.

Too many kayaks in the way nowadays. 

Usually caught them on 1/16 jig with Slider crappie grubs or small thin crankbaits. Caught a few on small top water buzz baits.

They typically ambush from weeds, not unlike small northern pike up North.

I'm certain you are correct here 

• 1 month later...

In the video:

That is a chain pickerel, or maybe, a musky that someone transplanted (illegally). Grass Pickerel are small and max out at 14-15 inches. Not Lake Springfield in the video, but not sure where beyond that.

In the OP:

Probably a Chain Pickerel, or again possibly an illegally transported musky. MDC doesn't show that as part of their range, and I was unaware of there being any in Lake Springfield or the James, hope I can get on them if they're there. The James and its tributaries do have Grass Pickerel but they just don't get that big.

Also: if she had netted that fish head-first she would have had it.