BSC Report 5/31

Kinda funny...I fished BSC for the first time in quite a while the other day when I had a couple hours to kill and was staying at our cabin nearby.  Meramec was blown out, BSC was slightly high and just a little murky.  I basically didn't do anything everybody is advocating...waded downstream, used 4X tippet, wasn't really trying all that hard to be stealthy, and was using a smallish but not real small Woolybugger, think it was size 8.  Caught 3 trout.  They weren't big, 8 inchers, but it was satisfying.

2 hours ago, Al Agnew said:

BSC was slightly high and just a little murky.  I basically didn't do anything everybody is advocating.

The creek in the picture doesn't high or particularly murky, but I've never been there, so I'll take your word for it. 

@ThisFish please disregard my previous posts in this thread. Al is experienced there and knows this creek follow his advice.

13 hours ago, tjm said:

The creek in the picture doesn't high or particularly murky, but I've never been there, so I'll take your word for it. 

@ThisFish please disregard my previous posts in this thread. Al is experienced there and knows this creek follow his advice.

Nah...I haven’t fished it much and certainly ain’t an expert on it. I really did think it was funny that I was doing everything wrong and still caught some fish!

14 hours ago, Gavin said:

Different game when the Meramec is in flood and it is up and milky. Very easy to fish then. Air clear and low is when it gets tough.

Yup. Although it was just very slightly milky. I would have rather it been more milky.  But I have an aversion to going to super light tippet... I don’t even own any 7X. 

• Members
21 hours ago, tjm said:

Hey no there was some really good advice in there I have a lot to learn. 

I found a guide and will be going out in a couple weeks. Going to spend some time in the yard working on casting as much as possible. I'll report back if I end up catching anything!

52 minutes ago, ThisFish said:

Hey no there was some really good advice in there I have a lot to learn. 

I've never seen that creek and it's been ~25 years (and 1700 miles)  since I was on real small trout water, so don't put too value on anything I did. Have fun learning, it's the journey that counts. 

One thing I will say...I tend to be a contrarian when it comes to some things trout fly fishing.  I've probably caught as many fish by NOT following the conventional wisdom as I have by following it, and tippet for small, clear water is one of them.  I never use super light tippet, no matter how clear the water is.  I match my tippet to the size of the flies I'm using.  Tiny flies, thin diameter tippet.  Bigger flies, heavier tippet--basically I use the heaviest I think will allow the flies to "act naturally".  That doesn't mean I'd use 0X on very clear water, but I've been known to use 3X on pretty clear water--with good success.  The other thing is that I don't automatically drastically downsize my flies in super clear, small water, either.  Of course, if I'm trying to match a hatch, I won't use a fly twice as big as the bugs coming off, but I'll probably use a fly about one size bigger than the real bugs, especially in a heavy hatch.  And if it's not a hatch and everybody is using tiny nymphs, I figure the fish are used to seeing those tiny nymphs, so I give them something they HAVEN'T seen...a good size streamer, for instance, or a big dry fly like a Stimulator.  It doesn't always work, and when it isn't working I'll try what the pros say I should be using.  But often as not it works.