during July and August.

Culling is the practice of releasing one fish that was caught

previously so you can keep a larger one. When anglers put the last fish

of their daily limit in a live well, they no longer can keep any fish of

that species that day. However, under certain conditions, anglers

fishing in tournaments can continue to fish if they stop one fish short

of a limit and release a living fish from their live well before

replacing it with a fish they just caught. This allows them to "trade

up," replacing one fish with a larger one.

Tournament bass anglers may cull live bass from September through June.

July and August are the months the no culling rule applies. The rule is

meant to reduce the number of tournament-caught bass that are subject to

higher mortality during the hot summer months. The rule also heightens

tournament anglers' awareness of the factors that influence fish

mortality.

Missouri's limit on black bass is six per day. This includes any bass

that are not released immediately, whether they are in live wells for

one minute or for eight hours. Once you placed a sixth bass in your live

well you may not replace any of the bass with another. However, if you

are fishing in a tournament in which the limit is five bass, and you

have five bass in the live well, you can replace one fish, one time.

If a bass dies in your live well it cannot be replaced with a live one,

any time. If you have caught your sixth legal bass and have placed all

six fish in your live well for any length of time, you can continue

fishing but you must release any bass caught immediately, regardless of

size.

Fisheries Field Operations Supervisor Kevin Richards said some anglers

- and even some tournament officials - are not as familiar with the

culling rule as they should be. They can find detailed information about

culling and catch-and-release fishing techniques at

www.mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2006/05/40.htm.

"Let's think about why Missouri has a no-culling rule in the summer

and see if there are ways we can use new tournament formats to increase

survival of bass during the hot water months," said Richards.

-Jim Low-

Dennis Boothe

Joplin Mo.

For a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing

in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

~ Winston Churchill ~

I thought culling was illegal year round?

I would rather be fishin'.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

I bet all these tournament fishers kill more fish by culling and releasing their catch after the weigh in than the average people keep to eat in a year. Yet they are the ones preaching at the "meat hogs" to not keep a one.

I bet all these tournament fishers kill more fish by culling and releasing their catch after the weigh in than the average people keep to eat in a year. Yet they are the ones preaching at the "meat hogs" to not keep a one.

The "meat hogs" referred to in other posts are those that illegally keep short fish and those that keep more than the limit, either in the livewell, on a stringer, in a fish basket or, to stock up their freezer. I'm sure everyone is aware of not just the daily limits but the limits MDC puts on numbers of fish in your possession ? Personally I still say carefully release the bass and eat the panfish, they taste better for sure and catching big'uns can be a challenge.

Thanks for posting the reminder about culling denjac, probably ought to extend that time period down here in the Southern part of the State until the end of September. Getting real tired of seeing dead bass after tournaments. You can't carry enough ice in a boat to keep livewell fish cool in the Summer, day or night.

Vonreed, I would suggest you check with the tournament orgs before you start pointing the finger at tournament anglers. I have fished tournaments for several years and have only had two maybe three fish die in my livewell due to the fish swallowing the hook.

Vonreed is right on the money IMO. Fish cant be stressed like that and not have a high mortality rate. Just because they swim away doesn't mean they don't die a little later.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Vonreed,

Your post sounds a little angry? I will agree that some people who fish tournaments simply are stupid about how to take care of fish in their livewells. I for one have oxygenators in my livewells in addition to catch and release chemicals and place ice in the wells through out the day when fishing hot summers however.......

The people who catch fish and release or eat them withoug knowing how to care for the fish kill many, many more that real tournament anglers or associations.

Do you know how to relieve a bass's stress due to temperature and depth changes? Do you know what the min/max oxygen levels are for a bass's survivability? Do you know how to fizz a fish? Do you know the prime ph level for a bass's comfort and survivability? Do you know how to remove a deep hook with minimum injury to a bass? Most real tournament anglers do and work hard to care for the fish we all love.

I have found many a floater around ramps from weekend fishermen deep hooking or deciding not to clean their catch after a long day. I've watched many a trout float up due to deep hooks released by "meat fishermen" who thought they were to small to put in their livewell

We may be tournament fishermen but most of all we are people who make the maximum effort to conserve this resource.

Thanks for the opportunity.

Vonreed is right on the money IMO. Fish cant be stressed like that and not have a high mortality rate. Just because they swim away doesn't mean they don't die a little later.

Gonefishin,

All I can say to you is go work a release boat, learn what is done, the money spent, the focus and efforts of the people (and I have done so) who work to sustain this resource. Then we'll see if your opinion is the same.

Thanks again.

Gonefishin,

All I can say to you is go work a release boat, learn what is done, the money spent, the focus and efforts of the people (and I have done so) who work to sustain this resource. Then we'll see if your opinion is the same.

Thanks again.

Wouldn't bother me to work a release boat but, I don't have to. I can go out on any lake a day or two after a tournament, boat around for a while, and see the floaters.

I am not kicking tournament fishermen. I just don't care for the attitude some have. They close their eyes to the fact that they kill some fish but then complain because someone keeps a fish now and then to eat. Seems kind of sanctimonious to me.

I'm not going to get myself drawn into an argument like soo many on here like to do. I'm not on here to do that. I'm on here to get along with everyone and also report and look at reports. I'm not angry or bitter towards someone who keeps "some" fish to eat or some who want to make a competition out of fishing. I wouldn't mind doing it myself if I was talented enough to compete like some of you.

I was just stating my opinion that someone from Kansas or wherever probably kills no more fish on their vacation than someone who is out there everyday fishing. If they were short fish that's one thing, but if they're keeping a couple or their limit to enjoy then I don't see the problem. Other than that it bugs the tournament fishermen or someone who makes a living off of fishing.

Once again if they had short fish or had twice their limit I say sink their boat and make em swim. It aggravates me as well to see people break regulations.

Oh and J.E. I'm not angry, lol.