They’re back....

Dutch

4 hours ago, olfishead said:

What ARE you talking about???? MDC never considered "jacking" with the gene pool of the white bass at Pomme. More coffee shop talk.

That's exactly what I said, DingDong.    

Now make some coffee and shut up.  🙄 

2 hours ago, olfishead said:

Exactly, septicemia (bacteria) or saprolegnia (fungal) or combination. Often caused by stress due to water quality problems, handling or parasites. A common problem in Pomme in muskies and white bass. Having been the fisheries biologist on Pomme for many years I saw this especially after heavy spring rains flooded vegetation that in turn caused low Oxygen as the vegetation decomposed, causing stress and weakened immunity. Also related to influx of nutrients. (Time for coffee)

What ARE you talking about???? MDC never considered "jacking" with the gene pool of the white bass at Pomme. More coffee shop talk. 

So what you are saying is “ these fish have Covid 19”?😳

2 hours ago, luckycraft said:

So what you are saying is “ these fish have Covid 19”?😳

He's talking just like "biologists" always talk.  Spouting off reasons of why there was a mass White Bass die off at Pomme, when during and after the actual event everyone in charge of studying it clearly stated that "No determination could be made". 

"Flooded grass during spring rains" 🙄    

For crying out loud.  The grass hadn't even started getting green yet.   That's the beef I have with the biologist community......They just can't be honest and say "We don't really know".  Instead they come up with idiotic theory's that sound "smart" (to idiots)....and they just roll with it. 

After all these years and YEARS of study, they have progressed nowhere.   Actually they have lapped themselves, and are now more ignorant than they were when they began.   It's rediculous. 

Olfishead is correct. Well researched and established principle in aquatic systems.  Noticed he said "as the vegetation decomposed,". This includes brown grass, leaf litter and any microscopic animals in the soil that overwintered. In some situations oxygen levels can drop by 3 or 4 ppm or more. 

3 hours ago, straw hat said:

Olfishead is correct. Well researched and established principle in aquatic systems.  Noticed he said "as the vegetation decomposed,". This includes brown grass, leaf litter and any microscopic animals in the soil that overwintered. In some situations oxygen levels can drop by 3 or 4 ppm or more. 

Once the object, leaf, grass, piece of wood, ect. is dead and saturated with water....it does not continue to CONSUME oxygen or emit hazardous elements into the water that harm the fishery.   

If it did then every Fall would result in a massive fish kill.....and there'd be no fish left.  

And you'd definitely not find a fish in lakes like Truman, or Mark Twain.

When an area, like a large bed of milfoil, begins dying.....the fish LEAVE the area.   They don't just sit there and suffer from oxygen depletion until they croak. 🤣

1 hour ago, fishinwrench said:

Once the object, leaf, grass, piece of wood, ect. is dead and saturated with water....it does not continue to CONSUME oxygen or emit hazardous elements into the water that harm the fishery.  

That's not right but it's science so I'm not taking the time to explain it to you Donal.....I mean Wrench. 

34 minutes ago, Flysmallie said:

That's not right but it's science so I'm not taking the time to explain it to you Donal.....I mean Wrench. 

Oh really, Bill Nye? 

Put a dozen toothpicks in a cup of water and allow them to become soggy. 

Prepare another cup of fresh water and place an oxygen sensor in it.

Note the gradual decline of oxygen over a period of time.

Now, move the soggy toothpicks into the cup of water with the oxygen sensor, and record your findings for a similar period of time.  

Did the toothpicks measurably alter the decline rate of oxygen?   

Let me know.

Oh, and be careful sucking on those toothpicks.....You might asphyxiate yourself.  🙄

2 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

If any decay of that stuff occurs it does use O2 and gives off CO2, whether it is enough to harm a fishery would depend on the rate of decay and how large the reservoir is. Trees don't decay very rapidly and the deeper they are the slower they decay, in ocean depths wood does not decay at all due to lack of O2.

5 minutes ago, tjm said:

If any decay of that stuff occurs it does use O2 and gives off CO2, whether it is enough to harm a fishery would depend on the rate of decay and how large the reservoir is. Trees don't decay very rapidly and the deeper they are the slower they decay, in ocean depths wood does not decay at all due to lack of O2.

Immeasurable.  The decaying leaves that are in all of our bodies of water currently....are NOT suffocating the fish, or causing their surface arteries to rupture.