Yellow perch

MoCarp

Yellow Perch in Bull for the most part seem to be a catch that is ancillary. I personally don't know of any anglers on this upper end that solely target them, or for that matter if its even a possibility

I think as far as Bull is concerned they are a bonus while targeting another species such as walleye or crappie. Bass fisherman also will tag them on occasion

Guys please correct me if I'm wrong and you know anglers that pursue and catch them in numbers as their targeted species. 

There is an OA member that targets them way up creeks in the Spring time catching 1/2 dozen or so Nice sized ones. 
I’ve seen pictures and they looked legit and local, but it’s not my story so that’s all I’m gonna tell. 

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

Walleye, sauger, the European zander, and the yellow perch are all members of the true perch family. They have similar diets and similar spawning requirements, just not identical. Yellow perch do not require the long stretch of moving water that the walleye does. Even though there normal spawn time is the same.

I never caught one on TR, but I expect one day they will appear the same way they did in Bull Shoals.

BTW, consider how many there must be in Bull Shoals for mature fish to exist since walleye, bass, and stripers feed on them.

1 hour ago, Ham said:

There is an OA member that targets them way up creeks in the Spring time catching 1/2 dozen or so Nice sized ones. 
I’ve seen pictures and they looked legit and local, but it’s not my story so that’s all I’m gonna tell. 

Hoping to catch one here locally in Maryland in the next couple of weeks or sooner 👍

A search on yellow perch will yield a whole bunch of info.  Thought this was interesting:

Perch are commonly active during the day and inactive at night except during spawning when they are active both day and night. Perch are most often found in schools. Their vision is necessary for schooling and the schools break up at dusk and reform at dawn. The schools typically contain 50 to 200 fish, and are arranged by age and size in a spindle shape. Younger perch tend to school more than older and larger fish, which occasionally travel alone, and males and females often form separate schools. Some perch are migratory, but only in a short and local form. They also have been observed leading a semianadromous  life. Yellow perch do not accelerate quickly and are relatively poor swimmers. The fastest recorded speed for a school was 54 cm/s (12.08 mph), with individual fish swimming at less than half that speed.

34 minutes ago, Quillback said:

A search on yellow perch will yield a whole bunch of info.  Thought this was interesting:

Perch are commonly active during the day and inactive at night except during spawning when they are active both day and night. Perch are most often found in schools. Their vision is necessary for schooling and the schools break up at dusk and reform at dawn. The schools typically contain 50 to 200 fish, and are arranged by age and size in a spindle shape. Younger perch tend to school more than older and larger fish,

I guy that dives Bull Shoals told me he sees schools of yellow perch. He didn’t think they were uncommon at all. 

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

I have caught them in the Butler Missouri city lake. I believe many moons ago the state record came from there. 

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

While in London, the wife and I took walking tours on the weekend. Some were guided. Some were not and we read a book to guide us. One unguided trip, we walked several miles of river/canal. We went under a bridge and discovered a young man. 11? 12? 13? He had caught a nice yellow perch. 12 or 14 inches, on a spinner.

We stopped and talked with him about his bait, technique, and luck. When we had walked out of earshot, the wife whispered to me, "He will remember today."
 I said, "Yes. it was  great fish."

She said, "No. You were there to admire it."

If I have told the story before, I am still working on it.