Share your old fishing pics!

2 hours ago, FishnDave said:

Check out the Kilroy ahead of the rear tire!  😄

😅 Yep!   

What is the story on "Kilroy"?    You see him on lots of old graffiti, and I've never known the story behind it.

That old Peanut truck was around during my whole childhood.   It got repainted later on, and we actually used to camp in it along the rivers.   It got left on the riverbank and taken in a flood eventually.....and then they fixed up an old school bus, that also got taken in a flood on my big sisters graduation day.   

8 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

😅 Yep!   

What is the story on "Kilroy"?    You see him on lots of old graffiti, and I've never known the story behind it.

Copied from Dictionary..com

Kilroy was here graffiti followed US soldiers across Europe, reportedly to the confusion and concern of opposing troops, who thought Kilroy might have been a spy. Eventually, Kilroy was here outgrew its wartime origins and became a popular symbol across the US.

and:

WHAT DOES KILROY WAS HERE MEAN?

Kilroy was here, or Kilroy for short, is a popular military graffito depicting a man with a long nose peeking over the top of a wall.

WHERE DOES KILROY WAS HERE COME FROM?

Kilroy was here
imgur.com

The graffito of a bald man looking over a wall—his long nose falling over its surface and fingers curled around its edge—is commonly called a Kilroy and usually accompanied by the message Kilroy was here. Its original creator is unknown, though subject to much speculation. One of the oldest known versions goes back to World War I, when Australia, New Zealand, and British forces scrawled the image all over walls, bathroom stalls, and railroad cars, but with the caption Foo was here.

British servicemen seem to have continued using this image when World War II broke out, but by then, the cartoon character was named Mr. Chad and accompanied by captions like Wot? No tea? in reference to low supplies. At some point during WWII, it appears American soldiers started drawing the popular military graffito, featuring the now-familiar tag Kilroy was hereKilroy was here graffiti followed US soldiers across Europe, reportedly to the confusion and concern of opposing troops, who thought Kilroy might have been a spy.

Eventually, Kilroy was here outgrew its wartime origins and became a popular symbol across the US. Even in the 1940s the source of the name Kilroy was hotly debated. The American Transit Association held a radio contest to solve the mystery in 1946, with dozens of Kilroys coming forward to say they were the inspiration. The winner of the contest was a shipyard worker named James J. Kilroy, who claimed to have coined the phrase when his superiors made him continually recheck tanks he’d already inspected. By writing Kilroy was here in yellow crayon on the top of the tank, Kilroy indicated that he’d already looked over his work.

Here's the old bus that replaced the Peanut truck. IMG_20210111_135731223~2.jpg

I've told the story on here before about the float trip we took from the Salt river in MO. to Baton Rouge LA on the Mississippi when I was 9 years old.

Here's the two boats that made the trip.  IMG_20210111_135800653~2.jpg

Lots of other pics were taken, but water got to the poloroid film and ruined them.  

42 minutes ago, FishnDave said:

Kilroy was here graffiti followed US soldiers across Europe, reportedly to the confusion and concern of opposing troops, who thought Kilroy might have been a spy. Eventually, Kilroy was here outgrew its wartime origins and became a popular symbol across the US.

That made me think back to Pendleton. You would be out in the middle of nowhere in some mountain range. Some of the giant rocks would have that painted on them...

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity...... Or you could just flip a coin???B)

28 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

Here's the old bus that replaced the Peanut truck. I've told the story on here before about the float trip we took from the Salt river in MO. to Baton Rouge LA on the Mississippi when I was 9 years old.

Was it an accidental, unplanned trip?  Is that how you got started with boat/motor repair? 😜

12 minutes ago, FishnDave said:

Was it an accidental, unplanned trip?  Is that how you got started with boat/motor repair? 😜

No it was planned.  My dad and grandpa were adventurous as hell. Things would start off as just armchair BS talk.....and the next thing you know we were loading up to actually do it.   And once started it WAS going to get done. 

We were actually headed for New Orleans, but bad weather, barge traffic, and some crazy tidal backwater started churning up 3-4' swells, and caused us to end the trip an hour south of B.R. 

What got me into boat/motor repair was realizing that it offered a WAY better life, and better pay, than professional fishing did.